Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i've been tossing and turning and can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on getting:

1) Black wheels, probably something like deep Fuel Hostages, or Deep Novocain's. Or keep the XD's I have. (I'm also swapping out the terra-graplers for trail grapplers)

2) Get rid of the prius mirrors and pick up some OEM tow mirrors. I've towed with it before and the mirrors on it now work pretty decent, I just think tow mirrors really make a diesel look like a diesel. :rolleyes:

:help

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Wouldn't it be cheaper getting them professionally sprayed black?
I have the same mirrors as you. If you get the tow mirrors, do they have the motors in them like the prius mirrors? Also, do the OEM tow mirrors have the turn signals built in them for other drivers to see? Its something I would like to do as well, but the convenience of them folding would make it a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't it be cheaper getting them professionally sprayed black?
I have the same mirrors as you. If you get the tow mirrors, do they have the motors in them like the prius mirrors? Also, do the OEM tow mirrors have the turn signals built in them for other drivers to see? Its something I would like to do as well, but the convenience of them folding would make it a deal breaker for me.
I have actually considered getting them powder coated, and yes, it is quite a bit cheaper. I've just recently fell in love with the look of a deep rim.

And from what I have read on the forums, I believe the OEM mirrors are electric, contain turn signal capabilities, and are heated. The only manual task is the telescopic aspect. Here is where I found them:

GM Parts Direct: 19202235 - MIRROR PK

I'm sure there are cheaper sites that have the mirrors available, I just haven't done the research yet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine came factory with the tow mirrors and your are correct if they are OEM. They are heated and do have led turn signals in them. Manual functions are telescoping and folding them in. I would def get tows it does make it look a lot different IMO

·
maketodaythebestofurlife
363 Posts
Nice truck!
I'd do both, black wheels and tow mirrors.
I have similar on mine and want to go the same way...isn't there a option with the turn signal/ heated/ power folding/ tow mirror? I got no problem telescoping it, but power folding does save time around Boston area...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
133 Posts
The tow mirrors are not power folding. They are heated and are activated off the rear defroster I believe. They also have a turn signal.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Crap! I would need to fold and unfold them every time I went in & out my garage every morning and evening... Shyte! my current mirrors JUST make it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Crap! I would need to fold and unfold them every time I went in & out my garage every morning and evening... Shyte! my current mirrors JUST make it.
I'm with you chief! They are a little bit of a bit!! To fold in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice truck!
I'd do both, black wheels and tow mirrors.
I have similar on mine and want to go the same way...isn't there a option with the turn signal/ heated/ power folding/ tow mirror? I got no problem telescoping it, but power folding does save time around Boston area...

I agree, power folding would also make it a lot easier in downtown Charlotte. Oh well, I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

The question is, should I put out the dough for OEM mirrors or settle for the cheaper aftermarket version?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^^ my truck came with the fancy Ltz power lil mirrors. I bought stock tow mirrors from my dealer and everything works fine turn sig and heated
Fairly easy to install?

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
^^^^^ my truck came with the fancy Ltz power lil mirrors. I bought stock tow mirrors from my dealer and everything works fine turn sig and heated
Yeah, but do they power-fold???. I got to put in in park, climb out of the seat, power down the passengers window fold in the mirror, and then do the drivers side before I drive in. I know for a fact that one morning I'm going to forget and tear them both off on my way out... sheer suckage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ya wasn't to bad they improved there plastic clips on the door. I think I paid 450 for te set at the dealer. Took me probly hr 1 1/2 but wasn't in a hurry.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I need to grow to love my mirrors... maybe I need a measurement! How far do those tow mirrors stick out?
Well. Judging by my calculations, I think the tow mirrors will fit perfect in the man shed if you just keep to the right by 2 inches or so.

Now go ahead and order them, and then write up your install so I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. :thumb
And let me borrow those wheels on your rig for a week or so.

·
maketodaythebestofurlife
363 Posts
I never had a power fold before, but now .... I've put the tow mirrors on my shopping cart few times and at the end I give it up for the power folding feature current in mine....
I don't care much for the blinkers... heated is nice, but isn't it out there an option of the tows with power folding?

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Well. Judging by my calculations, I think the tow mirrors will fit perfect in the man shed if you just keep to the right by 2 inches or so.

Now go ahead and order them, and then write up your install so I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. :thumb
And let me borrow those wheels on your rig for a week or so.
:D I have them in my cart now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 40 Posts