Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im looking to get a plow truck and not sure what I want. I know I want a diesel and im not willing to put a plow on my dd and I dont want to spend the money on a duramax. I found a 93 or 94 cant remember the exact year 3500 sclb with 200k miles for 4k with a decent plow. Its all stock and Ill probably keep it that way. What are common problems with these trucks is 200k miles to many to get a good 3-4 years out of it? I know I could find a 12v dodge with high miles but would be paying a lot more and Ford would be my last resort. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks :thumb

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump......

·
Registered
104 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems but there is a risk with 6.5L's. I have one with 225k and no engine problems YET! Just don't abuse it and it should be ok.

·
Registered
620 Posts
There's a PMD relocate that should be looked into. There's been overheating issues and there a good $600 to replace ... Bottom end on mine was beefed up not needed though (just as a prevention). For the 93-96 there's been a small cooling issue. 97 they fixed it. I don't remember exactly what I did but I used "the diesel page ". And they give you a list of common issues that can be looked into. I'll see if I can find the page and get it for you Overall the truck is pretty good. Like bob said. Just don't abuse it. My brother did and I had to replace the valve springs and fix the cylinder walls and pistons :mad:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys i wont be pulling with this truck just using it for plowing and I dont plow crazy like a lot of guys. If I could get 3-4 years with minimal problems I would be happy

·
Legennn... wait for it...
1,833 Posts
Nothing wrong with a good 6.5. My '95 had over 200K on the odo and was still going strong, up to the day it was wrecked.

For a plow truck, you'll probably want lower gears. Look on the inside of the glove box for the list of RPO codes. Look for GT5 - that tells you it's got the 4.10 rear. GT4 means 3.73's, which isn't terrible, but not optimum for your intended purpose.

If you've really got questions on what to look for, check This Thread. It's got pretty much everything you need to know about checking out 6.5's

The biggest thing to check for with the age and mileage of this truck is the balancer. When they go bad, catastrophic failure happens in the form of a snapped crankshaft.

As stated above, yes, the PMD can be an issue. What is not correct in the above post is:
- if the truck is a '93 it won't have one, it's mechanically injected.
- they do not cost $600 to replace. I got mine for $305, mounted on a heat sink and attached to a 6' cable to relocate it out of the engine bay. Don't worry about getting it wet when plowing. Heath took one and put it in a bucket of water while still plugged in, and the truck didn't die.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yeah I messed up on the year that's right. And I Musta got hosed on my pmd because. I saw $300 ones but they were cheap Chinese crap and there was a issue that didn't work in the owners favor that's why I went with the amarican one. May not make since to you guys. Just what my mechanic said. Whick happens to be a personal friend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts