Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got truck out of the shop for a weird, intermittent coolant leak and a starter grind. I had the flywheel and starter replaced, teeth were pretty ground down.

I also had a bunch of coolant system o-rings and gaskets all replaced since some were leaking and we had the flywheel plate off the back of the engine.

Here's the issue.... we found a VERY small external coolant leak from the front of the right head gasket and a slightly bigger (still small) external coolant leak from the rear of the driver's side head gasket.

I have been planning to replace injectors for a few months now. Work has slowed a little and now is the time I do alot of truck repairs, etc...

I would like to hold off on the head gaskets for 2 to 3 months, but still do injectors in next week or two. Is this a bad idea or should I just get it all done at once?

I have a few long trips coming within the next month or two for work and am thinking it would be better and I would have a little more extra cash for head gaskets then.

I just don't want to do the injectors and then everything get messed up when head gaskets are done.

Let me know what you think.... Thanks!

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Personally if the injectors arent too bad now, I would hold off the do it all at the same time.

You will need to remove injectors when the heads are off anyway. Thus needing to replace all the seals twice. i would pull the injector cups at the same time and reseal them also.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Do them at the same time or you will break your pelvis from kicking your own ass.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They haven't been too bad, until recently the have gotten a little smokier. I will be towing to KS for work.

Maybe this will be the plan...I'll have the head gaskets replaced (with ARP studs of course) by the GM diesel tech and then take the truck home and do injectors myself. This will save me some money and I'll finally get to learn to do injectors.

Sound like a decent idea? Well, maybe not..... I was quoted $3200 labor only by the dealer and since they are pulling injectors, lines, etc.... it shouldn't be any additional labor to install new injectors since they would have to put theold ones back in anyways....correct?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
They haven't been too bad, until recently the have gotten a little smokier. I will be towing to KS for work.

Maybe this will be the plan...I'll have the head gaskets replaced (with ARP studs of course) by the GM diesel tech and then take the truck home and do injectors myself. This will save me some money and I'll finally get to learn to do injectors.

Sound like a decent idea? Well, maybe not..... I was quoted $3200 labor only by the dealer and since they are pulling injectors, lines, etc.... it shouldn't be any additional labor to install new injectors since they would have to put theold ones back in anyways....correct?
There should be no extra labor involved, but you may want to clear this through them first....They may not be too keen on installing parts not bought through them, but if they are gonna install ARPs...then it might be cool.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea...I'll check. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Willing to run to Hagerstown MD. to save a grand?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Willing to run to Hagerstown MD. to save a grand?
Yes I am. I often work in MD and spend most of my weeks in the DC area. I'll look you up when I'm ready to go.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Have you started tearing your truck back down again to see what is wrong?
Yea man, I don't play around. lol. The passenger head is at the machine shop now because the popping was coming from that side, I should know what's wrong by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Hopefully I can have it running by this weekend, my little diesel ranger gets awesome fuel mileage but is no fun to run.

·
Registered
891 Posts
One thing for sure if I do his head gaskets the heads are getting the full treatment, planed, resealed cups and a valve job! I didn't do a valve job to save money, not real bright......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts