Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 GMC 250HD 6.6
I am finding the trick is driving very rough and would like to replace the original shocks.
What should I use, are Bilstien OEM on these trucks.
Not lifted but wouldn’t mind if it was 1-2” higher

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm a fan of Bilstein 5100's, great shock for the price. If you are looking to spend a little more money you can check out the Fox 2.0's. If you have some deep pockets look into Kings.
The stock height Bilstein 5100's have enough travel for a slight increase in height, so you can get those and turn your torsion bars up a little if you want to get another 1"-2" of height.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone tried the Koni shocks? We have installed them multiple times to soften the ride on diesel trucks. Especially with unloaded trucks. Been the go to shock for us.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh and by us I mean the RV repair shop I work at.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Anyone tried the Koni shocks? We have installed them multiple times to soften the ride on diesel trucks. Especially with unloaded trucks. Been the go to shock for us.
Koni are more popular in the sports car world, I have ran them on a couple of my F-bodies.

·
Registered
18,108 Posts
The shocks are merely absorbers on the truck, they wont affect height. Not sure what the stock shocks were on these trucks, but the kyb's im running now i like.
I like the KYB's monomax like Kyle said. I have them on my truck

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a fan of Bilstein 5100's, great shock for the price. If you are looking to spend a little more money you can check out the Fox 2.0's. If you have some deep pockets look into Kings.
The stock height Bilstein 5100's have enough travel for a slight increase in height, so you can get those and turn your torsion bars up a little if you want to get another 1"-2" of height.
I heard Bilsteins get good reviews, I like the idea that I could lift it 1”-2” just with the torsion bars.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Replacing GM factory crap shocks is never a bad idea but I dont get OPs statement about his truck riding rough. Old worn out shocks dont cause a truck to ride rough.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Replacing GM factory crap shocks is never a bad idea but I dont get OPs statement about his truck riding rough. Old worn out shocks dont cause a truck to ride rough.
Not sure that I agree with that. If you have shocks that you can compress by hand then they aren't absorbing anything at all, slap some new shocks on there and it smooths out the ride for sure.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Not sure that I agree with that. If you have shocks that you can compress by hand then they aren't absorbing anything at all, slap some new shocks on there and it smooths out the ride for sure.
Right, your basically riding around on springs. “Rough” isnt the word I would use though. A rough ride would be a truck thats had the T-bars turned all the way up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2002 GMC 250HD 6.6
I am finding the trick is driving very rough and would like to replace the original shocks.
What should I use, are Bilstien OEM on these trucks.
Not lifted but wouldn’t mind if it was 1-2” higher
I have a 2011 with a leveling kit and replaced the original shocks with the Fox 2.0 on both front and rear. I like them and think they improved the ride a bit, but what helps the most is keeping the chassis lubed. If my truck starts to ride rough, I know it's time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have bilstein 5100’s on the front and KYB mono max out back . Replaced the front shocks after about 2mo of driving with some beat maybe original shocks (2003 Silverado 2500 hd with 150,000 when purchased) the ride improvement was drastic wife says she can put on make-up now while I’m driving. The 5100’s came off my 6.0 powered 2500 and have some mileage on them but still a huge improvement over what was there plus they can take a leveling kit no problem if your going to even level it’s crucial to make sure shock has the extra length. A stock length shock will ride extremely harsh over any bumps no matter what brand/quality it is if truck is raised at all, even a 2” leveling kit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts