Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am moving over from a cummins and need help deciding on which duramax to buy.

Truck 1:
2004 GMC CC Loaded with navigation and DVD Player, 4" rancho lift, new adjustable shocks, rims and 50% tires, AFE intake, 5" cat back exhaust, edge juice w/ attitude with 78K on it. Drove it and it drives real nice and no leaks and everything looks well taken care of. Owner says he has all records at a local dealer for services so the history is there.

Truck 2:
06 GMC CC everything but leather, custom EFI Live tune by a local shop, brand new tires, remote start, great looking truck with 116K on it. Retired guy owned it for awhile putting the highway miles on it but not towing anything. Not sure all the history is there on this one.

What do I need to be aware of on both? the 04 is an LLY motor based on the 2 in the VIN. I can get either truck for the same price, right around 23K in my area which is on the lower end of the range here. Thanks for any help!

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
truck 2 runs better and has 6 gears, truck one has 5, if you treat the lly too bad it may blow the head gaskets.i'd get the first truck just because of more options and lower milage my LLY has never left me sit yet, and its seen hell.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
any time your buying a truck that has been tuned you need to be carfull. the trans may be pretty beet on both the trucks. id say go with truck two just because id preffer them over the lly any day.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but the 06 might be an LLY too... ? I think LLY's have a bad rap going because mine has been awesome....

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think truck one, has lower miles, the history is great to have for confidence. Although the six speed allison would be nice, but the lly sounds pretty nice. My lly has done great for me, bought it with 73,000 and now has over 110,000 in about a year and a half.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
the 06 lly is basically an lbz with 50 less horse has same pistons,compression and trans as the lbz.ive sunk ALOT of money in my lly just fixin stuff not to mention all the little aftermarket stuff to make it run cooler.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan on having both checked out mechanically if i buy. The 04 tranny seemed strong when I test drove it. The owner seems legit and is my age in his mid 40's id say and so not sure he is the type to really run the juise over the third stage and he did not really pull anything heavy so he says.

I am inclined to buy the 04 because of the mileage and the options but like the 06 for the extra gear?

I do not think i could go wrong with either as long as they check out i guess.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Killerbee - I verified that the VIN's 8th digit is a 2 and that was I thought the way to tell. The owner also said that it was the LLY and that is why I checked the VIN.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i had the same delima i was looking at a 05 ec sb lly with a zf-6, it was an ls had 70k and also looking at a 07 ec sb with 6 spd ally 68k lt3 truck both had edge juice with attitude the 05 was 3k cheaper but payments were the same cause 07 booked for alot more and had a better interest rate i ended up getting the 07 cause i really like lbzs wish they made a lt3 lbz with a zf-6 then it wouldve been an easy decision but both are great motors and great trucks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts