Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I am in the market for an enclosed trailer as I decided not to build a garage so I could have more liquid assets since I'm young.

I have found a lot of 40-48 foot goosenecks and its really what I want, but I just cant get a good feel from people how much of a pain it is to tow them and how stealthy one has to be at the track to get the thing around the pits when arriving and leaving at the beginning and end of the weekends.

I can go buy a 24' trailer pretty much all cash, but I still dont have place for a golf cart, an actual living space (All the big ones have them) and I wouldnt have a nice 5th wheel setup to toss in my new trucks bed lol

I was wondering if you guys could advise me on whats wise to do, in the end money will really dictate what I get but I dont want to get into something and regret it! This is something I would plan to keep for a LONG time.

^^^^^^^
I posted that on some car forums and got an array of answers, but I am looking for more of a 'towing' answer here.

I found this trailer which matches the car perfect, and is pretty much everything I would ever need. It would also fit later cars that I build as well.

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/838424/48-Custom-Living-Quarters-w-Full-Bath.html

I am looking for some detailed help on how much of a PITA something like this is to tow and move around.

I totally understand one has to plan where they are going when towing something this big, and have a level head.

any advice and experiences would be AWESOME!

(Tow vehicle is an 07 classic 3500 DRW)

Thanks a lot,
-Ryan

·
Registered
132 Posts
what racing are you into?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My camera sucks, so sorry for the blur!

Here are some pics from the other day at my chassis cert

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
Cool car. Is it pretty quick? On the trailer. IT kinda depends on your driving skills. The bigger the trailer the bigger the pain. It's gonna be harder to get in and out. We've got a 30 ft gooseneck flatbed and it is a pain but we don't use it everyday. With the crewcab it'll tow pretty good. You might get a few upgrades on your truck, exhaust and an intake and maybe a tune and it'll tow just fine. How much total weight you looking at pulling? I think a 40' would be plenty but you might not have as big a living area as you would like to have. Buy a 24' bumber and put slide in pickup camper in the back!! Slap some airbags under the rear and you're good to go. Or I may be full of crap! Someone else might have a little more insight on this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Yea it will go low 9's this season if all goes to plan, then once I get everything else in line it will most likely get tubed and I'll build it for 7's, but thats after a trailer and possibly a house lol

I really want to go for a ride with someone towing something big lol

Thats the only way I will know whats right for me, but your guys' advice certainly helps!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My trailer

Right now i'm pulling a 30 foot enclosed and its diffenitly big enough for me! I really need the towing mirrors as the mirrors on the truck now arn't that good for towing can't see past the trailer. Good luck with your hunt. The night picture didn't turn out that good.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I operated a trailering/towing shop for two years. The varied ideas about towing always amazed me. You've got a good truck to pull most whatever you want. We pull a 40 ft gooseneck horsetrailer. No sway, follows like a dream. Stability wise, gooseneck/fifth wheel is MUCH the better. Also, the longer the better for stability. Of course, the longer they are, the more you have to be aware of them. If this is your first trailer, the length will get to you pretty quick if all you've ever driven was single tire vehicles. A camper in the bed of your truck is a great combination if you want to camp when you don't want the trailer but it will give a sizable vehicle stability issue that will take more conscious effort to account for when driving. If you use a bumper pull, make sure you use stabilizer/anti-sway bars for ANY good size trailer. Make sure your trailer brake system works properly. Usable trailer space is so much a personal preference depending on how much stuff you have that it is difficult to judge what would work for you. No sure where you are, but if you want to come visit us you can take a test drive in our truck with our 40' trailer so you can see how easily it pulls and corners (you just have to watch out for the corner!). Have fun hunting! If you can stand the driving, the longer the better and it will give you space to grow in!

·
Rara Avis
371 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Go for the gooseneck.. No mods needed. I tow a 45 foot gooseneck trailer and its a dream.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
The race shop i go to has a 24' enclosed bumper pull and a 95 Honda coupe and it fits in the trailer great with a golf cart, generator, a smaller compressor and his tool cart. He pulls the trailer with a 1 ton 6.0 PS SRW.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Being a drag racer myself I wouldnt have anything smaller than a 28ft trailer. With the car and all your stuff, fuel jugs, nitrous bottles, tires, four wheeler, generater etc. in a 24 it can be done but its tight. A 28 is much nicer. I dont own a enclosed right now but have used them before and that is what I found out. My next trailer might even be longer than 28ft. It just depends on what kinda deal I can get. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We bought a 48ft last year to pull our mid 9 second Beetle. With the golf cart, quad, tires it is almost a little too big. On a big race weekend if you have tight a tight pit area it can be a pain, but good tracks will always make sure there is enough room to be able to park. Living quarters are always nice when you are out of town, but unless you do alot of out of town racing I wouldnt spend the extra money again.:drink

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey I just bought a 08 vintage 44ft. Its pretty much loaded cabinet awning no ac yet, but i love it most reasonably priced ive found for the quality

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
you might need a bigger truck but this is the kind of trailer we tow our race cars with...
Welcome to High Tech Performance Trailers, Inc.

J/K but for your application i would go with G/N from Optima trailers they our a little pricy but there made out of aluminum so you can put more in them and still be legal. as far as towing with a big trailer the biggest thing to remember is the more space behind the trailer wheels the more you gotta watch out for A** end to swing out rub something like the concrete posts around the RV island at Flying J:booboo.

and remember the bigger the trialer the less MPG your gonna get and with fuel $$$ thats something to think about.:mad:

·
Registered
181 Posts
For some strange reason there seems to be a lot of big trailers for sale out there.... I wonder if the $4 a gallon has anything to do with it? We picked up a 38ft without the living quarters simply because of that reason. Dumping that extra 10 ft should help a bit on fuel.

·
Registered
17 cclb are 3500.
2,288 Posts
as far as towing with a big trailer the biggest thing to remember is the more space behind the trailer wheels the more you gotta watch out for A** end to swing out rub something like the concrete posts around the RV island at Flying J:booboo.
This is true, I have done it before, if you look close enough at my pick you can see the mrker light is damaged.

I love pulling the gooseneck better than a bumper pull. It feels better on the vehicle because the ight is distributed tru out the whole truck instead of at the arse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts