Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im new here and am saving up for the truck ive been wanting forever. a chevy/gmc 2500 crewcab LWB 4x4 truck. im planning on getting a 06 and do not know alot about diesels, but im a fast learner. ive been working on my ownpersonal "gas" vehicles since i was 14 so i have a good bit of experience. but anyway i heard there was a LBZ engine option for 06 is this true? i plan on getting the truck within the year. i may get a used low mileage truck. but it will be used for towing often. me and my dad have a lumber business and we pull a Kubota L5030 tractor which wieghs in with the front loader and bush hog at around 7K lbs.the trailer that we pull the tractor with wieghs about the same. so ill be towing roughly 14k lbs daily or every other day.since we have to bring the tractor to our work site. so im 21 and would like to upgrade the performance of the truck. ill be getting a leveling kit for the front so the truck sits level , or a small lift kit. i thought of going with either bully dog or magnaflow for exhaust. i am probaly going to get the edge with attitude or something like efi live. i dont know what to do with the turbo??? i dont know if the allison transmission will hold up with the mods and the wieght ill be carrying? if you have suggestions please post.. i like to gather as much info as possible so i make the best possible decision so thanks in advance..
clay:thumbsup :peelout
 

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
if your geting an 06 efi live dose not yet work on them. edge is a good all around type tuner but if your going for a real performance type of tuner go with a ppe tuner, you wont be sorry there! you will need a built trans if you plan on running anymore than a 90 hp tune very often! the stock VVT turbo on the 04.5 and up durmaxes is good up till about 500 rear wheel hp right now so its just fine but you can add a boost increaser to the to get about 10 more psi! Cold air intakes have not been dyno proven to add anything buy sound untill you get into the 500rwhp range and oiled filters such as a k&n tend to cause problems from the oil getting on the MAF sensor. And exhaust, most D-Max guys runn a MBRP butin this department they are all pretty equil you can get a good cheep 4" from either summit or jegs, and if you plan on removing the cat you will need a code blocker for the egr, and the last thing you might want to do is block the egr off they are no good and jusrt dirty up the inside of the engine!

Hope this helps
Caleb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Uh-Oh- Sounds like just the begining for ya!You go get that first diesel and we'll help ya spend your money:D !You'll forget everything you ever knew about gas engines and not care to remember it:wink .
 

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
jon72 said:
Uh-Oh- Sounds like just the begining for ya!You go get that first diesel and we'll help ya spend your money:D !You'll forget everything you ever knew about gas engines and not care to remember it:wink .
You hit the nail on the head there Jon!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
05_LLY said:
if your geting an 06 efi live dose not yet work on them. edge is a good all around type tuner but if your going for a real performance type of tuner go with a ppe tuner, you wont be sorry there! you will need a built trans if you plan on running anymore than a 90 hp tune very often! the stock VVT turbo on the 04.5 and up durmaxes is good up till about 500 rear wheel hp right now so its just fine but you can add a boost increaser to the to get about 10 more psi! Cold air intakes have not been dyno proven to add anything buy sound untill you get into the 500rwhp range and oiled filters such as a k&n tend to cause problems from the oil getting on the MAF sensor. And exhaust, most D-Max guys runn a MBRP butin this department they are all pretty equil you can get a good cheep 4" from either summit or jegs, and if you plan on removing the cat you will need a code blocker for the egr, and the last thing you might want to do is block the egr off they are no good and jusrt dirty up the inside of the engine!

Hope this helps
Caleb

thanks caleb what does the ppe tuner look like and is it like the edge tuner that has the built in digital pyro and whatever the other gauge is? and the turbo boost increaser what and how does it work? egr block off dirtying the engine? i also thought of getting a 4.5 exhaust installed and running no muffler. but dont diesels need backpressure to make the turbo spool up?

thanks
clay
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,808 Posts
Diesels do not need backpressure for the turbo to spool up. Think about it....your exhaust spins the turbo....the faster you can get rid of it...the faster your turbo will spool. I have run my truck with straight pipe (stock exhaust) and now I am running 4" MBRP with a straight through muffler. My turbo spools up pretty fast. The turbo is just a small air compressor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the only reason i asked about back pressure is because i read this in the mag called "diesel power" and here is the exact quote..."as long as you get sufficient backpressure to spin the turbo,going up in exhaust tubing size is a good thing."

i mean generally the more air you get in and out and the faster you do it the more power you can make. its all about gettin as much air as you can in and out. so when i read that it threw me a curve so i posted about it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,808 Posts
Yeah, typically the "backpressure" from the air sitting in the exhaust it is enough for it to spool up. Guys are using up to 5" systems and not having any problems with spool up. I wouldn't worry about that....just worry about your tranny when you start adding power with electronics. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Im running 5'' no probs what so ever, think about the big dog sled pullers, with the stack sticking out of there hoods.:thumbsup
 

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
claydog said:
thanks caleb what does the ppe tuner look like and is it like the edge tuner that has the built in digital pyro and whatever the other gauge is? and the turbo boost increaser what and how does it work? egr block off dirtying the engine? i also thought of getting a 4.5 exhaust installed and running no muffler. but dont diesels need backpressure to make the turbo spool up?

thanks
clay
The ppe tuner is just a down loader u plug into your under dash port and save some files and unplug it and your ready to rock, no gauges with this one you have to buy the extra and mount them on the a pillar, the boost increaser just pluges in to your map sensor and changes the signal to make it make more boost, edge will not read this added boost because edge reads the map signal wich would now be a fooled signal! Open exhaust will spool the turbo quicker as will blocking off the egr valve, witch dose nothing more than put exhaust in to the intake to reburn it!!!

Later
Caleb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what about changing the cam? would this benefit me because ill be towing almost everyday?
 

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
Turbo Diesels benifit very little from a cam change untill you get in to wild hp numbers, if your towing alot the best and most practical mods would be a kennedy diesel boost stick and some sort of mild tune somewhere in the 60 -90 hp range!!!!
But if your still interested in a cam i know comp was working on some and i think they are avaliable but i dont know where or how much!
Later
CAleb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nahh i was just asking. but now im curious about the kennedy diesel boost stick... what is it???
 

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
ITs just a simple device that plugs into the map sensor and fools the signal into making the turbo make more boost!

The factory boost signal is caped at 24 psi the BS (boost sitck) i beleive raises it to about 30 psi which really helps egts and still keeps boost under the no zone of 34 psi which is when the stock vvt wants to go boom!!!!!

And another benifit of the bs is it will add hp up to +30 but ona stock truck it might only add 5 or 10 but the more tuneing u add the more the bs likes it and will add more power. When i had mine i used to two with a ppe 90 hp tune and the bs with egts never foing over 1250!!!!!!

Later
Caleb
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top