Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know the horse has been beat to death, but I have been researching like crazy and just keep getting more undecided on which tire to go with. First, my truck is a 2009 LMM with a leveling kit. I plan on going from the 16" wheels that are on it to some 18's. the truck is mainly used for towing our 34' toy hauler travel trailer around eastern oklahoma and western Arkansas. Some of the roads to camp sites are dirt and with any moisture can get fairly muddy. I also use it for hunting. Usually western oklahoma were it is super sandy or at my parents ranch in Colorado where you have obvious rock and snow pack two tracks. Truck currently has BFG AT KO load range D on it. Major problem with the trailer weight. If I had to guess, the ratio is 70% highway, 30% offroad. What are your suggestions if it was you? Thanks:help

·
Registered
492 Posts
I got bfg rugged terrain and really like them so far

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Im very happy with my Michelin LTX A/T2. Id recommended the Michelin LTX A/T2 to anyone. & go with a load range "E" tire.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, load range E is a must. Part of the reason I am shopping.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
What do you mean by "off-road"? If you are just taking about dirt roads, the the Michelin AT2, as mentioned before, is a great tire. If you mean sharp rocks, mud, mesquite trees, etc., then I would go with something a little beefier, like load range E BFG All Terrains, Cooper AT3s, or the like.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By off road I mean two track mountain roads in Colorado (rocks and such) and west oklahoma pasture, very sandy (by little Sahara dunes)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
By off road I mean two track mountain roads in Colorado (rocks and such) and west oklahoma pasture, very sandy (by little Sahara dunes)
I would look at the Coopera, then. I have heard good things about them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AT3 or ST maxx?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
AT3 or ST maxx?
AT3s are better for highway. I actually considered the ST MAXX since it is more aggressive, but Discount Tire didn't have them in stock, so I went with my Trail Grapps. The Trails are probably too aggressive for what you need, though. :thumb

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I worry about how fast trail graps would wear out as well as noise. Plus they are pricey.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I worry about how fast trail graps would wear out as well as noise. Plus they are pricey.
For what it's worth, my next set of tires will probably be the ST MAXX. I have heard good things about them. Plus they weigh less than my current tires, which should translate into slightly better mileage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You going with the 275/70 r18 size?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You going with the 275/70 r18 size?
When I get the ST MAXX tires, yes. But, it will probably be a while before I need new tires. If you get them, let me know how you like them. If they suck, I may reconsider. :rof

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A lot of the oilfield trucks are running the st maxx and the Goodyear duratracs. They must be fairly tough for them to use them.:thumb

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I have narrowed it down. Choices are:
Michelin LTX AT2
Cooper ST Maxx
Cooper AT3
Mickey Thompson ATZ

The ATZ is $100 more per tire than those others. Is it worth it? I keep hearing great things on the coopers and the mildness of the Michelin tread worries me. I think tires are like candy bars, everyone has their own personal favorite.:cookoo[1]:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Why not a Toyo AT2 - excellent tire. Same set up as you 18" with 285/65

1 - 18 of 18 Posts