Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am looking at a boat over 1000 miles away from me and it is on a trailer, but I think it might be too heavy for my setup. Can you guys give me some advise?

The boat is about 12K with the trailer and boat, and is a bumper pull style 2 5/8 inch ball.

I have an 06 Duramax 2500 with a 6 inch lift and 35" tires with a 2.5" receiver hitch rated for 12,500 Distributed.

Can I find a hitch to handle this? Or should I pay for it to be shipped?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I,d pull it. sounds like you got 500lbs to spare, u could stop for beer on the way home!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
seriously, just take it easy, drive smart.

are your tires E rated?

·
Registered
526 Posts
see what shippping is then think about your costs on fuel and etc.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'd just make sure u have a good weight distribution hitch but you seem to be right inline. Power wise u will be fine. Just verify hitch capacities with a wdh.

·
Registered
212 Posts
No problem as long as you have trailer brakes

·
Registered
207 Posts
Any boat that big will at least have surge brakes you should be fine, I pulled an 11000lb boat all over the place with my lifted lbz. Usually with the bed and boat loaded down with 2 weeks of camping gear and 5 people in the cab, never had an issue. Just take it easy on the brakes and it won't be a problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
That won't be a problem, at least for a stock truck. Make sure your tires can handle the extra tongue weight.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What hitch should I use? I need a drop hitch due to the lift. I have a Diversa hitch now, but it is only rated for 10K

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
The boat is about 12K with the trailer and boat, and is a bumper pull style 2 5/8 inch ball.

I have an 06 Duramax 2500 with a 6 inch lift and 35" tires with a 2.5" receiver hitch rated for 12,500 Distributed.

Can I find a hitch to handle this? Or should I pay for it to be shipped?
Eh.....are your figures correct?
I ask because the ball size should be 2-5/16".

Is that the stock OEM receiver hitch on the truck or aftermarket?
I would guess aftermarket since you stated 2.5" receiver.
However, most 2.5" are rated higher than just 12k lbs. If you erred in size and it is in fact the 2" factory OEM hitch, then don't even attempt the pull.

A receiver hitch that handles either 15k (2", no WD) or 18k (2.5", no WD) can be had to your door for $165-$200. 30 minute install.

In 'Estimating' the boat/trailer's weight to be that close (500lbs) to the hitch's stated rating, also consider that lifts require a longer drop for the ball mount, which can reduce hitch capacity with the increased leverage. Another reason to go big.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Do you know if it has surge brakes or electric brakes? If it has surge brakes a weight distribution hitch can hinder the braking abilities. By the way you need a new ball

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Pull it

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
What hitch should I use? I need a drop hitch due to the lift. I have a Diversa hitch now, but it is only rated for 10K
I think you mean Ball Mount?
6" drop can reach 15-16k lbs
8" drop can reach 12k lbs
10" limits out at 10k lbs, and so on.

Not sure on your needed drop to match trailer, but as you can see, lifts limit out quick.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I am going to get a shipping quote.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Gm did 2.5 inch on lmm up. OEM hitch

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I looked again this morning and it is a 2". Good catch!. I am going to look for a 2.5" Hitch and see if I can swing this.

Got a quote just to drive it out here for $3200.00

·
Registered
577 Posts
I looked again this morning and it is a 2". Good catch!. I am going to look for a 2.5" Hitch and see if I can swing this.

Got a quote just to drive it out here for $3200.00
new hitch, fuel and pull it yourself.. thats unreal price lol you can spend alot in goodies for that kinda money!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought it was high too. I was just worried about the lift giving me issues.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
$3100 and ill go pick it up and bring it to ya lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts