Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Need to upgrade brakes!

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  05 3500 2wd 
#1 ·
I would like to upgrade my brakes from the stock ones what all do I need to get to actually upgrade them instead of just replacing the pads and rotors with stock parts. Thanks for your input!

#2 ·
Whats the reasoning for wanting to upgrade more then just pads and rotors? I know plenty of people who tow heavy, drag race, and most of them have only done different pads and rotors or just replaced with the original pads and rotors.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I went with power stop Z36's from rockauto.com love them. better and cheaper then oem.

Reactions: BOWTIE67 and mray
#6 ·
Did you do pads only or the pad n rotor kit?

#4 ·
Better...yet you haven't seen where the end of life will be yet. :unsure:

#5 ·
You got a good point. but my breaking is much better now

Reactions: mray
#9 ·
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be watching for a deal on the Power Stop setup for mine.

#10 ·
I went to a set of Power Stops and so far, so good. Have about 20k on them. Lost front half of my trailer brakes due to damaged wiring down by the trailer brake drum and didn’t realize they weren’t working right until it was too late. I usually lean on the exhaust brake / tranny to maintain the right speed coming down steep grades. Was pulling the loaded up 34’ toy hauler Utah to Denver, hit slow / stopped traffic coming down Vail pass and warped the rotors on the truck. Otherwise I wouldn’t have touched them. The stock GM Delco brakes are solid. Highly encourage you inspect and test your trailer brakes every time you hook up and set the gain on your controller so the truck brakes kinda like the trailer isn’t there.

#11 ·
Biggest improvement I found was by adding stainless brake lines, I installed the Kryptonite lines, easily 1hr job. When it was time to replace pads, I went with SSBC pad and slotted rotors all around, not cheap and a couple hours to change out (dually). Performance is noticeably superior to the OEM. Powerstops were the others I was looking at and as others mentioned, great performance with a lower cost over the SSBC set up.

#12 ·
I have a dually and haul a Lance 1172 (in the bed camper) which weighs in at over 4500lbs so stopping power is a concern of mine.
Edandemma were did you purchase your brake components?
Did you keep your oem calipers?

#13 ·
I have a dually and haul a Lance 1172 (in the bed camper) which weighs in at over 4500lbs so stopping power is a concern of mine.
Edandemma were did you purchase your brake components?
Did you keep your oem calipers?
sent you message with info, anyone else following along, SSBC appears to be out of business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.