Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you don't care about this, but for the ones that do, I need some help.

I wired up a smoke switch on my truck (LLY) today. I done it just like everyone said to: one wire to the 5v and one to the signal wire. I hooked one of those wires to one side of a switch, and the second wire to the other post on the switch. IT DOESN'T WORK ! :help I've tried it with the switch in both positions, driving and parked....... I'm getting no response from anything. Not even a check engine light.

Anyone know what's up ????

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:biggun:blowup:blowup:blowup:blowup

·
Registered
994 Posts
Can you fill me in on what exactly a smoke switch is?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm thinking about doing one and have all the parts it's just that the map sensor is deep in the valley on the llys and overall a pain in the ass to get to. Did you double check all of your connections and wiring? Also did you solder in your diodes and resistor?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't put the resistors in yet. I have it wired straight to the switch right now. I wanted to see how big of a difference it made before I did any soldering or switch mounting. (the switch is just tied up under the dash for now) and yes I double and triple checked my connections. I'm stumped.

Blackbetty06, a smoke switch is self titled. You wire up a switch to the MAP sensor, and it's supposed to make some killer smoke. Mine is currently not working.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You only did it to the map? It's supposed to be map and maf...

·
Registered
994 Posts
so the smoke switch is something you can turn on and off, regardless of wether or not you have a programmer? Im guessing you cant drive with it on. Sorry for the thread hi-jack I wish I could help you

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You only did it to the map? It's supposed to be map and maf...

Well, this is probably where my problem is then.
I thought for the LLY, it only had to be to the MAP.
I know there is a DIY on this somewhere here... I guess I'll have to find it and trie again. Thanks for the input mperry:drink

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the smoke switch is something you can turn on and off, regardless of wether or not you have a programmer? Im guessing you cant drive with it on. Sorry for the thread hi-jack I wish I could help you
No worries on the hi-jack. Yes, you can just turn it on and off. I don't think you can run it for extended periods of time though. I don't know for sure if you need a programmer or not, but I would guess not.

·
Registered
424 Posts
All it is is a switch that you can flip whenever you want (driving or stationary [supposedly it works better while driving in about 2nd-3rd gear]) regardless of programmers and whatever else you've done to your truck.

And technically the best smoke you're going to get is from an efi live smoke tune which most tuners won't make for you.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that part. You can run one without a tuner but it won't be nearly as effective as it will be with one.

I'll see if I can find the schematic and the thread for you. I know I have it save on my computer somewhere.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Thanks man !!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here's the link to the thread that I was using:

Smoke Switch - Diesel Place

Here's the schematic:

The thread is huge though (81 pages atm) and sometimes finding info can be rough in it. I forgot where they worked out all the kinks on it (somewhere between 40-60) but it has some good info on it if you can weed through the "ZOMG HOW DO I DO THIS FOR MY TRUCK!?!?" and "This is the dumbest idea ever" posts.

Good luck, let me know how it turns how =D

(also, how did you access the map sensor? I'm having a tough time getting to it to tap the wires, that's really the one thing that's holding me up.)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the info bud, I'll let ya know how it turns out.

My MAP sensor was kinda hard to get to, but not too bad. It's on the drivers side kinda under the top radiator hose and kinda behind and to the left of the remote battery charging terminal. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what i've heard a smoke switch just closes the turbo veins on your vvt. you still need a programmer to add more fuel to get Black Smoke. You shouldn't get much change in a stock truck except for building NO BOOST!!!

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
All it is is a switch that you can flip whenever you want (driving or stationary [supposedly it works better while driving in about 2nd-3rd gear]) regardless of programmers and whatever else you've done to your truck.

And technically the best smoke you're going to get is from an efi live smoke tune which most tuners won't make for you.
i will have to agree the best smoke is from efi i got a smoke and its pretty wicked... but i have put switches on a lbz and a ford 6.slow and both times it was only the map sensor so idk what your issue.... my only guess would be the connection is not good or you cut the wrong wire?

·
Registered
130 Posts
did you happen to get it all working ?? im gonna try this tomorrow hopefully i get it ahah

·
Owner at Torq Industries
299 Posts
subscribed. I would like to know how this works

1 - 20 of 24 Posts