Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Duramax 4X4 last Friday. I am having the front end re-keyed and leveled today. I am also having a set of 18" Diamo * Karat Black wheels with 325X60-18 tires installed today. I was getting ready to order the Edge with attitude Module/Chip... whatever it is?? But, it seems that it is important that I change my exhaust out first. I really don't want to make any extra noise if I don't have to, but I do want the extra performance provided by the Module. So, what do I do... is there a partial exhaust kit that will be an improvement without the expense and noise of a Turbo back system? And, is it really neccessary at all if I will never tow over 5-6K lbs?

Thanks for the help guys.

Greg

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
It is not nessacery to add an exhaust it will just make the egts run a little warmer, but with the edge juice with the attitude u can keep an eye on your egts so everything should be ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK... the tire shop ordered the wrong wheels... they had too much offset meaning they stuck out too far. It is my understanding that you can run this setup with a +25 offset on a 9 inch wheel. Can one of you confirm this??

Thanks!!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
just a thought here..it will help the performance of your truck if you put a exhaust on that doesn't have cats on it or stock muffler..when i bought my new truck the first thing i did was punch the cats out and put a straight pipe in where the muffler was and it wasn't much louder then stock but the performance was much better...ps by doing this i increased my fuel economy by almost 2mpg:rockin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any help on the tires? Am I just trying to go too big without a lift? I have found a nice set of 18s with +18 offset that i think might work, but I am a little worried I might have to do a little trimming with the 325/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I Went One Size In Bigger In 16 Inch And They Rub Just A Slight Bit On Tight Turns,i Need To Crank My Bars Up And Leve It Off For A Set Of 33''

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
on my 06 2500HD with the torsion bars cranked up i can run a set of 305-55R20(33-12.50R20)with out rubbing any where unless i go into a hard turn and i start going uphill then it will rub on the inner fender well...the 325-60R18 nittos might rub i would drop down to the 285-65R18 plus it the 285-65R18 it comes in a LR E(10ply)verses the 325-60R18 comes in a LR D(8ply)....just my thoughts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks... this is what I know so far - The OEM recommended offset is +15 to +20. However that is if you use a 16" wheel. A larger wheel will allow for a more positive offset. We tried a +25 in a 17" and it tucked under fine with a 305,, but the tire was too tall even with the leveling kit. But, the tire thay tested was 35"s tall. The tire you recommended is 32.6" tall according to my math, but the BFG AT KO's spec out at 32.8" tall and 11.5" wide. The Nitto is 33.4" tall, so we are looking at a difference in radius of .3 inches. Now, I know the width will affect the clearance when turning. That will be my issue. That is why I am making sure I get the proper offset, or least trying to make sure. This may be trial and error ~ that is a damn lie. This is very much Trial and Erro. My Diamo 8 Karats are being sent back today due to imporper back spacing. The were -6. I am ordering a set of MB Wheels V-Drives which have a +18 offset which will tuch it 24mms further under the truck... we will see. The guy a wheelpros thinks it will work. Here is a pic of the wheels.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/wheelProduct.go?rcz=75771&rc=TXTINT&tc=MBMVDR

I hope someone has this setup and will tell me it will work so I can sleep tonight. :)

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, for got to address the Load Range issue. The tire I am looking at has a load capacity of 3000lbs at 65PSI. The LT245/75R16/E has a load capacity of 3042lbs at 80PSI. So, the larger tire in the D Load Range gives me essentially the same capacity as the E. In addition to that, I will never load this truck anywhere near capacity. An ATV and a small camper will be the extent of the work this truck will ever see. I probably will never have more than 800lbs in the bed and 4500-5500 in tow with a maximum of 350-450lbs of tongue weigth and that would be on the high end. So, given that information, I think I am safe. If I am missing something in this equation, please let me know.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts