Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GMC 3500 HD Duramax SRW
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

just got my new 56 Gallon tank installed to replace the 36 gallon original tank on my 2018 GMC 3500 HD Duramax SRW

the extra 20 gallons will be great as we pull a 5th wheel and needed a bit more distance.

so how can I update the distance to empty DTE info for the extra fuel? Read some place it will update after several fill ups and other places that need to do something with EFI live. Confused and hoping someone else has done this on the same model year as me and can help.

thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
How I understand it, you need to drive it 100+ miles first. You will get a MIL. Shutdown, and restart it, and the truck will get into a "semi-learning" mode. Then after 5-7 tankfuls, you truck will relearn how many gallons are in your tank. The light comes on because level does not move as much as it thinks it should (thus the MIL).

It is best to fill it full, then drive it until it is as empty as you can get it for those "learning" tanks.

I am in the middle of doing that with an S&B 62 gallon tank I just had installed, however this was on a 2020. I am hoping it is the same procedure for you in a 2018.

Good luck!

//KMac

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How I understand it, you need to drive it 100+ miles first. You will get a MIL. Shutdown, and restart it, and the truck will get into a "semi-learning" mode. Then after 5-7 tankfuls, you truck will relearn how many gallons are in your tank. The light comes on because level does not move as much as it thinks it should (thus the MIL).

It is best to fill it full, then drive it until it is as empty as you can get it for those "learning" tanks.

I am in the middle of doing that with an S&B 62 gallon tank I just had installed, however this was on a 2020. I am hoping it is the same procedure for you in a 2018.

Good luck!

//KMac
Thank for replying. I have to look tomorrow how far I’ve driven since filling it up first time. I set the trip meter I should be super close to 100 miles

what is MIL shutdown? It would be fantastic if everything does recalibrate after a few full ups

·
Registered
46 Posts
MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light
Shutdown - Turn off your truck. Then turn it back on ;-)

The light could be a Check Engine Light (CEL). I just do not know yet. And I do not know if you have to all 100 miles in one drive (that is what I read in a couple of other threads).

Good luck!

//KMac

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light
Shutdown - Turn off your truck. Then turn it back on ;-)

The light could be a Check Engine Light (CEL). I just do not know yet. And I do not know if you have to all 100 miles in one drive (that is what I read in a couple of other threads).

Good luck!

//KMac
thanks. I am at 64 miles on the first fill up with the so should know in the next few days. Might not be the same on my 2018.

if it happens just turn off the truck wait a few minutes and restart it nothing else that you know of ?

again thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nothing else that I am aware of. I will let you know if I hit 100 on my 2020 and see what kind of light I get.

Good luck!

//KMac

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing else that I am aware of. I will let you know if I hit 100 on my 2020 and see what kind of light I get.

Good luck!

//KMac
So today I hit 101 miles and the fuel gauge went to empty. Turn truck off the back on. No other lights but gauge stayed at empty until I got to about 123ish the gauge went back to full. Still DTE says 504 miles to empty so that is still not right. Maybe it takes more miles ???

just letting you know my update

·
Registered
46 Posts
On last Saturday, I was 40 miles from the magic 100 mile mark. Ended up driving 140 miles and still nothing happen. The DTE climbed up about 30 miles and then just stayed there. Now it is going down and I am not even to 1/4 tank yet. I did find the thread here and it was not a MIL/CEL, but exactly what you describe. The gauge going to 0 and a message about being out of fuel. Hopefully the 2020 is already in "semi learn mode" or whatever. I guess it is not that big of a deal.

Good luck!

//KMac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts