Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

New and thinking about buying a used diesel

785 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rschneider303 
#1 ·
Howdy y'all

My name is Tom and I come from the Texas Hill Country. I'm new to the world of diesel trucks as I always owned gassers and looking for some helpful advice. I was considering buying a one owner (private seller) 2017 Chevy 3500 High Country SRW long bed. It is stock under the hood with no tuning. It's got 137,000 miles and it looks like the owner took fantastic care of the truck. I believe he used it to haul horse trailers around Texas and Louisiana. He has complete service records, the body and interior are in great condition too and overall seems like a fine machine. However, with this mileage should I be wary of injector failure or turbo failure? Anything particular to watch out for in the 2017s?

I hope to keep this truck for a good 10 years or more if possible. I don't drive like hell and enjoy maintaining my trucks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Tom

#3 ·
If he pulled trailers i would do the following for sure.
I would make sure both filters for the transmission have been changed along with the ATF.
Mobil Delvac 1 ATF is a fully synthetic fluid recommended by Allison Transmission, Inc. and approved against the Allison TES-295 and TES-468 specifications. This is what we use.
We get ours from Summit as they seem to be the cheapest around.

Reactions: rschneider303
#5 ·
Noted. Thanks for the advice! All these different filters, the exhaust system, and simply learning about diesel truck maintenance is a little daunting but I love taking care of my vehicles so I think I'm up to the challenge. In many places I've read the comment "just delete" but that concerns me for a variety of reasons. I suppose that'll be another "search" here in this forum -- I'm sure with a ton of great advice.

Thanks again.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.