Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I'll need to change my name to reflect my new duramax.

I recently purchased this 2001 2500HD diesel Duramax with 244K miles . It's the 6.6L LB7 with the 5 speed Allison transmission and 3.73 (3.72?) rear end. I purchased it from the original owner who had a stack of maintenance papers about two inches thick. They took care of the truck, and it shows! She's got a spray in bedliner (rhino) and a huge toolbox.

Per the maintenance records, injectors were replaced at 211K in 2013, water pump in 2011, alternator in 2012 and fuel filter in 2013. It was used to tow a fifth wheel camper and had recently been driven from Iowa where some work had been done. All these documented repairs were the main reason I purchased the truck, even after an inspection at the local chevy dealership.

This is my first diesel, and I'm pretty excited for it. I bought it to tow my 18' car hauler and for a future small camper we want to get. I've been reading a lot and would like some additional information on what I should do now to help maintain and keep this truck on the road for a long time.

I'm not looking to race or get 600HP, although I have to admit it would be fun to have that much power, but I am using this as my DD. At 20MPG, she's doing fine. I was thinking of a 5" exhaust along with a larger 3" downpipe to start things off. I need to get new tires right away as they're almost all worn. They didn't want to get new tires so soon to selling, can't blame em!

Any recommendations for tires and general parts I should look at or upgrade right away? I'm a shade tree mechanic and buy cars at auction, fix them and sell them on the side, so I'm not afraid of getting dirty. However this is my first diesel.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Welcome! I may be moving to AZ in a year or two.
I'm currently running Goodyear Armortracs, but honestly if I end up in AZ I'll run Nitto 420s year round (800hp likes some traction lol).

My favorite all around tire I've been on would have to be the BFG AT KO.
Check out the wheel & tire section on here.

Again, :welcome

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Welcome to DF!

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
welcome friend!

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Welcome - get ahold of those folks at the Arizona Diesel Club. :thumb
There's never a dull moment with them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
277 Posts
welcome to the forums fellow AZ duramax'er

·
Registered
507 Posts
Congrats bud! That's awesome you have all that service history. I've liked the toyo at2's, only gripe was they threw gravel pretty bad. Great on the road tho. Will probably put BFG ATs on the next truck.

Nice 4" exhaust would probably be a good pick up to start with. Maybe some new running boards :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Welcome. To the forum!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.