Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Missing obvious things gets A LOT worse as you get older. You've got much more of this to look forward to.

Denial and deception are the best coping resources.
You got that right. And forgetting things, I can be walking to the garage to get something, then have another thought and once in the garage forget why I was going in the first place! Gotta backtrack to figure it out....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, went and got my 2nd battery. Had noticed a slight sulphur smell in my cabin the past couple of days, opened the hood and it was that old battery leaking a little. But it must have still been somewhat good because I have a little over 12 volts on both old and new batteries this morning (left the maintainer on overnight) and truck started right up, alternator gauge was looking better today too (over 14 amps) then yesterday. Then again I'm thinking it might have been the radio drain. Not gonna hook it up for now as we're headed to the beach for a week and don't want to risk a battery failure. Once we get back home I'll pop the radio fuse back in and see what happens. Sure love this forum, get LOTS of great ideas from it.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Well, do I ever feel like an idiot. After researching some more I pulled the radio and amp fuse (even though I don't have an amp) hoping this was the fix. Was able to get the truck started and went for a drive. Came home, opened the hood and something hit me about everyone saying there should be a 2nd battery on the passenger side. And YEP, there it was! Don't know if it's bad or not but gonna go buy a 2nd new one tomorrow. Thoughts that it might have been the cause of draining my new one even if the old one is 'good'?
I would be this fixes your issue. the internal resistance of a battery increases with age, so the old battery is basically creating a load on the new battery to charge the old battery killing them both.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Well, went and got my 2nd battery. Had noticed a slight sulphur smell in my cabin the past couple of days, opened the hood and it was that old battery leaking a little. But it must have still been somewhat good because I have a little over 12 volts on both old and new batteries this morning (left the maintainer on overnight) and truck started right up, alternator gauge was looking better today too (over 14 amps) then yesterday. Then again I'm thinking it might have been the radio drain. Not gonna hook it up for now as we're headed to the beach for a week and don't want to risk a battery failure. Once we get back home I'll pop the radio fuse back in and see what happens. Sure love this forum, get LOTS of great ideas from it.
are you SURE there is no amplifier in the truck? the bose amps can some times get stuck on and consume a fair bit of power.

·
Registered
37 Posts
a fully charged battery should be at 12.6, 3/4 charged is 12.45, anything under that is not good and has a defect. running should be at 13.5 to 14.5v. if there are two batteries then you may have a old battery

21 - 27 of 27 Posts