Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Im in the market for a set of new rotors for my 2012 4wd DRW CC.

Starting in the summer of 2017 I noticed a minor shake in the steering wheel on steep descents. Initially only noticeable at the bottom of long hills while hauling a 4000# truck camper. Fast forward to the summer of 2018 and the problem is much worse. If on a long downhill grade, I need to keep the tranny in 3rd gear, and keep my speeds below 45mph or the rotor warp becomes so bad that I can barely keep the steering wheel from jumping out of my hands.

No local shops are turning rotors anymore, so Im inclined to buy a new front set.

Typically I will haul a 4000# truck camper, and occasionally I will add a 4000# boat, which only has surge brakes. Needless to say, I demand a lot from my truck's brakes.

Drilled and slotted aftermarket rotors have caught my attention. $150 a pair from Amazon almost seems too cheap - I don't want to waste my time on junk.

SSBC Cross Bite look good at about $350 a pair.
https://ssbrakes.com/i-20481027-rotor-left-front-big-bite-cross-drilled-and-slotted-23930aa3l.html

Are there any other options I should be considering here?

Truck has 25000 miles and is otherwise in excellent condition.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
From what I've read so far, stock rotors and pads are the way to go for our HD's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No kidding. I had my mind made up on after market since my originals only lasted 25K.
I tow 15K all the time with some big mountains and I have 130K miles on my originals. Many folks have more than that.

You must have something else wrong. Perhaps slide lube.

·
Registered
20 Posts
25,000 miles on a set of OEM brakes seems very short of a normal life expectancy, unless you have some other related problem.
I have 155,000 miles on my factory brakes, including a lot of miles carrying a truck camper or towing a 5th wheel. I use tow/haul mode and supplemental braking, and have a caliper service done with tire rotations, about every 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I CANNOT EVEN STRESS ENOUGH: STOCK OEM PADS AND ROTORS. If you read what all caps mean you will get my message. I thought as you did, drilled rotors trick brakes are for race cars not HD trucks. You can run a aftermarket stock style rotor of good quality OK , factory pads are a must! JMHO from someone who has "been there, done that"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts