Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed new u joints and a carrier bearing now sometimes when I lightly hit the brakes sounds like a winding rubbing noise. It was louder at first but I adjusted the bearing slightly seemed to help a lot

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I installed new u joints and a carrier bearing now sometimes when I lightly hit the brakes sounds like a winding rubbing noise. It was louder at first but I adjusted the bearing slightly seemed to help a lot

What brand of bearing was installed? Its pretty common for the wrong bearing to be installed and the aftermarket bearings to move around in the rubber and sometimes fail completely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part Number: BRG HB88540
It looked similar to the old one. I had napa pull and press the new one on. One thing I noticed is the arrow pointing to the front was backwards I wasn't sure if it is backwards or if just the bracket is backwards. It would seem that way. But I didn't notice until I already connected the u joints and had it ready to install.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Part Number: BRG HB88540
It looked similar to the old one. I had napa pull and press the new one on. One thing I noticed is the arrow pointing to the front was backwards I wasn't sure if it is backwards or if just the bracket is backwards. It would seem that way. But I didn't notice until I already connected the u joints and had it ready to install.
Could just be a junk bearing if you got it at Napa. After 13 years of that bearing being used in GM applications i see Napa finally sells one that the bearing cant pop out of the rubber.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
going through the same problem with a buddys truck .It rubs in reverse as well and we got a different aftermarket one and it didnt work either Im going to shit can the aftermarket bearing and get a factory one . Im done fooling with this thing .its his bread winner so I gotta get it right before he has a failure on the job somewhere .

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
do you guys think the original bearing is made by dana/spicer ?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
do you guys think the original bearing is made by dana/spicer ?

I know for a fact it is. 212258-1x

Ill rephrase that, i know for a fact is is with the 01-07 classics, the 07.5 up use AAM drivelines, but the Dana bearing will still work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
which was is the ring that sticks out further on the bearing facing? Towards the back or front of the truck ?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That steel ring should point towards the back of the truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts