Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hope this helps get some of the specific drivetrain questions out of the more generic sub-forums.

Axel, CV's, Gearing, Brakes, Driveline... all go in here now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2 piece driveshaft on my ccsb, i see other trucks like mine with 1 piece driveshafts, is this a year specific thing or was there an option?
Also does anybody know of a reputable transmission and driveline guy in Las Vegas who specializes in our trucks? Thanks in advance.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2 piece driveshaft on my ccsb, i see other trucks like mine with 1 piece driveshafts, is this a year specific thing or was there an option?
Also does anybody know of a reputable transmission and driveline guy in Las Vegas who specializes in our trucks? Thanks in advance.
8' boxes have two piece.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Did something nice for my truck, replaced the badly worn out rear brake pads, sdjusted the parking brake pads, and changed my transfer case fuild.

Now my question, my parking brake pedel still goes to the floor is there something else i need to adjust. I adjusted teh screw for the parking brake pads til the rear disk drum kind of slid on them. but still the same pedle feel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't remember what I did but I had the same problem with my parking brakes. There is an automatic adjusting mechanism in the parking foot pedal that takes up the slack in the cable as the brake pads wear. You have to reset that when you do the park brakes.

Someone else on here should know the particulars. I kept looking at it and finally figured it out on mine. Thats been 2 years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Transfer Case questions

My truck is a Silverado 2003 2500 HD. Hope someone can help with a couple questions for this first time 4WD owner.

What happens if the viscous coupling fails? Would I be able to drive the vehicle at all? Would the speed sensors signal the transmission to down shift or go into limp mode? And what might cause a coupling to go bad?

And on a different, but perhaps relevent topic: I believe the transfer case is vented to the atmosphere. Does that make it suseptible to water contamination? If I put the truck in water up to the floorboard when launching a boat, would that cause water to be introduced into the transfer case? If so, is there a cure . . . other than staying out of the water?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You need to start a new thread. Go to the top of the page. Click on Drivetrain and repost your question. It will show up as a new thread and attract more attention!

·
Registered
626 Posts
As a 2 wheel drive CCSB i don't think there is hope. There is a one piece available for the CCSB 4x4, I will be posting my swap on it early this coming week. GM does have an 80 inch aluminum one piece for the eclb trucks but I believe yours will be longer than that. Wouldn't hurt to measure center of U-joint on each end but I'm not sure anyone can balance them beyond them beyond 80 inches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are the codes involved.There is a TSB that sound like it might apply PIT5569a. I have a similar issue but with no comm. loss that is at the chevy dealer who has been unable to repair for over two months. I do not believe they are trying very hard. I have a 2016 3500 4wd dually that sets rear wheel speed sensor codes every time i tow my travel trailer more then 100 miles. At first it was just the right sensor. But now it is both. The right senor was replaced under warranty but did not fix anything. If it is the updated AAM 11.5 rear end the sensors are not at the wheel ends as is normal but at the side of the diff. housing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts