Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just bought a 06 4 door dually 4x4 with 23,000 miles on it. I run 5k -9k loads on a regular basis. I have ALWAYS driven dodges so I know nothing about this truck. BUT I have a lot of buddys with them so I thought I would give it a try.

My first question is about the fuel mileage. On the computer it says im averaging about 10 i averaged 16 on my dodge. This truck is bone stock. Is this normal? I have a buddy with a diesel shop who is trying to get me to put on a (bare with me) PPE programmer? some kind of exhaust and a intake. I do not like chips I dont like doing anything that will jeopardize the longivity of this truck. Any suggestions. Oh and going off the vin its a LBZ

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
I would start will changing the fuel filter if it wasn't changed before you bought the truck. Old fuel filters can cause mileage decreases.

Congrats on the truck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new duramax!!

Well i'm sure someone will tell you to fill out your signature so it makes answering questions easier, so i guess i will be the first. Never trust those OH computers, the mileage is off...hand calculated is the only accurate method for figuring mileage.

I don't know much about the lbz, i just bought an 03 lb7 in december after driving 6.5's and 6.2's. I have 12v cummins in all my work trucks as well, love them hate the dodge bodies.

First thing i would do is exhaust, air filter, gauges ...then maybe efi live (dont have it but everyone raves about it).

Good luck with your new truck, i'm sure you will get any help you need here.

03 Sierra SLT LB7 Ext cab SB 4wd Stock w/ mod airbox, intake horn, straight pipe, 3 inch lift

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys I didnt even think about changing the fuel filter. I changed mine every 10,000 miles on my dodge I guess I shouldnt assume everyone else does the same! My only hesitation to exhaust is I absolutely love how quiet this truck is I have been driving a dodge with a straight pipe on it for the last 7 years I am tired of loud lol

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
An exhaust with a muffler will be just almost as quiet as it is now, just flow a ton better. Duramaxes are not loud at all compared to a cummins, especially a straight piped cummins!! The VVT turbo kills a lot of the sound, so it's not even that loud with a straight pipe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome to Df . I dont like loud either . I have a 4" diamond eye quiet tone exhaust on mine and love it . Towed my 20ft trailer yesterday empty and got 18 mpg checking with odometer havent checked it yet with no trailer since exhaust install .

·
Registered
760 Posts
10mpg doesn't sound bad pulling close to 9k. those cummins are notorious for getting excellent mileage. Go figure 6 vs 8. Someone on here has "22mpg at 75mph" on their signature. Don't know if anyone can top that. My buddy's cummins gets 21 pulling bass boat to lake amistad.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
For a duramax there's cheaper setups than FloPro. They make good stuff, but MBRP would be a great kit and is a bit cheaper. S&B would work good if you want an intake, although there's little to no benefit from one unless you're running high hp.

I'd be happy to talk with you about some options if you'd like :)

-Jesse

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What route would you suggest taking in my truck to increase fuel mileage then? This truck has plenty of power for me, so the hp gains arent that important to me, but I understand if they go hand in hand. And dont get me wrong more power is always nice. I just dont want to sacrifice longivity

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
The easiest way to get some better mileage is with a tuner, believe it or not. Typically a quality tuner will get you around 2mpg better than stock. But its usually a good idea to do an exhaust at the same time to keep EGT's down.

My recommendation would be an Edge Evo. It has a display that you use for gauges, and it's reasonably priced for as good of a tuner as it is. Pair that with an MBRP exhaust and you should get some great mileage gains, as well as a nice sound and good power gains as well :)

-Jesse

1 - 12 of 12 Posts