Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm looking for a truck and strongly leaning towards the Duramax my price range is $15-20k

So I've spent countless hours of research on diesel trucks as I need one for towing a 40' 15,500lb fifth wheel and I've narrowed it down to 2006 Silverado 3500 DRW with the LBZ/6 spd. Which is hopefully in my price range of ~$15-20k.

Originally I was going to go with a 2006 Ford 6.0 but the history on those is just too spotty, and to have the head gaskets go while on a 1500 mile trip would be a kick in the junk. (but man are they cheap!)

Then there's the Dodge, but the issue is the cab is too small on the quad, and the megacab doesn't have the payload (plus the smaller box, and not so great auto transmission), I looked long and hard at the mega numbers and started to doubt my sanity, stuff wasn't adding up. A mega with DRW's payload is a little over 3000# but it should be in the 5000# range

Why is Mega Cab Dually only 10,500 GVWR? - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Ram Mega Cab Dually - Features - Diesel Power

So anyhow, I can't find concrete specs on the Silverado, but it seems to be around 5000# payload and 23,000 GCWR which is on par with the f350 DRW's.

So anyway, thats where I am with my research. It looks like the LBZ has fewer issues and the 6 spd allison seems to be pretty solid, thoughts?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You may find a high mileage LBZ dually around 20K, but lower mileage trucks will either be LS models or much higher in price. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
:welcome

1 - 9 of 9 Posts