Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recently purchased an 06 duramax with the lly engine. Its bone stock. I wanna take the mpg's up because I'm tired of drivin my 05 with the 6.0 vortec @ 11 mpg. That being said I need advice on duramax stuff.

Programmers... What do I need to know? I'm not worried about hp cuz the engine and trans have enough already. My goal is to get 18+ mpg and I think it's do able being a 2wd. What's the best one for mpg? How easy to install?

Exhaust.. I ruled out stacks since I'm not looking to make it smoke. From the research I've done, mbrp 5" with a downpipe sounds pretty sexy. Do I wanna do duals - if so how do I do true duals like I had on my vortec? - or am I better off leaving it as a single straight pipe and putting a 5 or 6" tip on the end?? Turbo-back? Cat-back? No muffler? No cat?

Cold air intake? Does it help? Worth buying? Is k&n the only option for best results?

Those are the 3 main things i have planned to do besides chrome and dressing it up. Where else do I go? What else will help improve the mpg's? And is 20mpg easily attainable with the 2wd???
Look forward to advice and tips. Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would recommend efi live for a mpg tune you will get 20 plus with that. For the exhaust i would get the mbrp 4 inch turbo back. most exhuast kits with come with tips. what style of exhaust is up to you. single is always easier but you may want duals. For the intake i would get an afe system. there are a ton of options for tuners, exhaust, and intakes and most of them are very good. i would stay away from oiled air filters as they will screw with you mass air flow sensor when i oil gets on them. hope this helps a little. im sure others will chime in with there opinions....

·
Registered
634 Posts
im getting about 18mpg with 35s so 20mpg+ aint to hard to get
and :welcome

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 245s on the aluminum 16" wheels, I'm thinking about swapping them for a set of h2 17" wheels though. Is going with mbrp 4" better than just having my muffler shop Guy put 4" pipe under there all the way out to tip(s)? WIll removing the cat screw anything up on the computer?

Appreciate the advice, keep it coming...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@2003duramaxlb7 What tuner and exhaust do you have? 4x4 and 35s make a huge difference compared to my 2wd and 245s haha

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump. Any others?

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I got my best MPGs with stock tuning and a 4" straight exhaust. 19.5 @ 75 mph with 245s inflated to 80 psi. Tuning did nothing but make my MPGs go down, no matter how I drive. Air pressure in the tires has a lot to do with it. Save your cash on an intake. Stock is the best. DO NOT buy a K&N. They filter as much as wrapping your T-shirt on the intake.

·
2500HD Club Member
1,500 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. so no K&N intake. that'll save couple hundred. Stay with the 245's just take the psi up. Go with a single pipe straight 4" or 5" with a down pipe.. what else?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ttt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts