Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought me an 04.5 GMC Duramax/Allison. My old truck was an 01 Cummins that had several mods done to it. I loved it and know all about cummins and how to soup them up, but I have always been a die hard Chevy guy. I finally got me a duramax and I was wondering what are the tricks to make these duramaxes run.

Im wanting to know what are the little things I can do to them to make them run better. What is the best chip/programmer, what to do to help the tranny and rest of the driveline hold up better, and pretty much the most common best mods to do to them.

I don't know much about these duramaxes at all, they are all new to me. But i plan on being on here alot to learn all i can about my truck. I used to be on DTR all the time when I had my cummins and I learned a whole lot about the Dodge/Cummins pickups.

Thanks for all the help,

Zach

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I also have a few more questions if you don't mind.
I was looking at different exhaust systems to go with and I ain't real sure what sounds the best on these duramaxes. I know that on a cummins, 5" sounds way better than 4". Is that so with the duramax also? What does an lly sound like without a cat or muffler? I have heard the lb7's straight piped but I haven't heard a lly with the variable vane turbo straight piped yet. Will it sound better with 5", or should I go with 4"? Or should I just leave the stock size and just have the cat and muffler cut off? How would this sound?

Also, I see that alot of you guys are using the EFI live for tuning, is that better than just using a programmer? What all does the EFI live do and how do I go about getting it?

Thanks for all the help, I know there is alot of questions, but I don't know who else would know besides yall.

Zach

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.