Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Silverado 2500 L5P
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya’ll,
New to the forum, new to diesels and Duramaxes. I have a 2017 Silverado 2500 (L5P) I just traded my dodge challenger in for. It’s got 174,000 miles on it but overall looks and feels good while driving. I checked car fax and it looks like it was serviced at all the right times.

What are some things I should change out or check for safe measure? The display behind the steering wheel says the fuel filter is at 49% so I planned on replacing that. DEF is showing OK, no frame rust. Is there anything else especially at this mileage? This is probably a stupid noob question it is 174,000 considered high mileage?

Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Barely broke in at that mileage. Especially being mostly highway given the age, probably only 4,000 engine hours or so. That generation engine has a really good reputation. Put it in drive and do what the dash tells you to do!

·
Registered
2017 Silverado 2500 L5P
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Barely broke in at that mileage. Especially being mostly highway given the age, probably only 4,000 engine hours or so. That generation engine has a really good reputation. Put it in drive and do what the dash tells you to do!
Hey Sully thanks for the reply! That’s good to hear and puts my mind at ease. I plan on keepin this baby til I die so I just want to be on top of it as far as care goes. I’ve been creepin on these forums prior to making the move to a diesel and I’m glad I did. This is where I found out about the L5P’s rep. BUT GOD IM HAPPY WITH THIS THING! SO MUCH POWER!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd love to have one but can't really justify it. My LLY only gets used for camper pulling so 3k miles a year is it, sits in the 3rd stall. Being a mechanic and having been to diesel school its my little project, constantly!

Reactions: ALLY Cat

·
Registered
52 Posts
New as well.. loved my 14 1500 170k on her best bud bought it in 17. I then needed the new front end on the 1500 105k no issue just didn't like pulling our new boat. So here I'm at. First $50$$$ for me an it's used with 78k miles lol. So I'm just doing all the maintenance in the manual to get it up to date. 2 weeks with it 1000 fun miles. Definitely a way different animal then my other trucks. bought all new filters so far just waiting on a nice day. In the next 2 weeks. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Silverado 2500 L5P
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New as well.. loved my 14 1500 170k on her best bud bought it in 17. I then needed the new front end on the 1500 105k no issue just didn't like pulling our new boat. So here I'm at. First $50$$$ for me an it's used with 78k miles lol. So I'm just doing all the maintenance in the manual to get it up to date. 2 weeks with it 1000 fun miles. Definitely a way different animal then my other trucks. bought all new filters so far just waiting on a nice day. In the next 2 weeks. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That’s exactly what I did. Hopefully I’ll have time this weekend to do everything that needs to be done with it. Hoping for sunshine as well but you could never tell how that’s gonna be out here in Tennessee :LOL: I had a 2015 1500 Sierra in the past and loved it but at 30,000 miles I had nonstop tranny issues. It was a mess. They ended up taking it off my hands and let me swap it for a same year Silverado but it too had issues. I kind of lost faith in GM at that point but after driving this for the past two weeks, I couldn’t be happier. Best of luck to you and your new toy too!

·
Registered
2017 Silverado 2500 L5P
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love to have one but can't really justify it. My LLY only gets used for camper pulling so 3k miles a year is it, sits in the 3rd stall. Being a mechanic and having been to diesel school its my little project, constantly!
I considered an LLY before getting the L5P but got talked out of it by a buddy of mine. He told me it’d be a lot of work and time. And time isn’t something I have at this point in life unfortunately. I wish I did because I want to learn more on working with diesel motors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your buddy is right! I put the ppe deep trans pan on it, helped some with the excessive heat issue. Biggest thing I did to fix it was taking the coolant return line from the turbo and running it to an auxiliary radiator in the bumper. That line from the turbo is a big thermal feedback loop. That plus oil coolers galore and it will finally maintain 195 coolant temp with 35 psi oil pressure at a sustained 5-6 psi boost pulling the camper. Believe it or not going back to 245 tires made a big difference too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts