Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I actually don't know, this is the first time I've let mine get low. I'm refilling it today and we'll see.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 2018 Denali 3500HD, and before mine just said "Remaining Level OK* and no other indicator of how much I actually had left, which was always annoying. So now it looks like this:
It is a coincidence that your DEF level dropped below 30% after the recall was completed. I bet when you fill it, the display will go back to reading 'ok'.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I took mine in for this last week, and now to my surprise in got a new item in my dash info center - DEF remaining level percentage!

I have a 2018 Denali 3500HD, and before mine just said "Remaining Level OK* and no other indicator of how much I actually had left, which was always annoying. So now it
I took mine in for this last week, and now to my surprise in got a new item in my dash info center - DEF remaining level percentage!

I have a 2018 Denali 3500HD, and before mine just said "Remaining Level OK* and no other indicator of how much I actually had left, which was always annoying. So now it looks like this:
View attachment 1076666

Not sure if something else was updated to get this, but it's certainly a welcome addition.
That page did that all along.

When the tank is more than about 30%, that page will say 'DEF OK' . Below 30% it gives a percentage number.

When it gets to about 1000 miles range remaining, it will also pop a DIC message saying so.(mine usually does that at about 22% remaining)

Isn't it normal to start displaying remaining DEF % when it reaches 30%?
Yes, that's normal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That is correct RW. What i meant and didn't say i guess was like a fuel tank gauge so one knows about what is in the tank.
If my 2016 states when it is in the "Regen" process, i have never seen it on the screen. Could have been there and i missed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know it is for the LML
Is this a free recall repair? I have an 18 2500HD and it's my first diesel so I don't have anything for comparison regarding the regens. I had issues with an intermittent check engine light and the stupid low coolant level message on the DIC. They "pulled a vacuum" on the coolant system and said that should take care of that issue. It's a closed system - they shouldn't have to pull a vacuum on it. They then reprogrammed the ECM and said the check engine error code showed cylinder 6 glow plug exceeded learn limit. Tested circuit - nothing wrong and determined that the ECM needed to be reprogrammed. I was charge $171.60 for something that should have been covered. I was out of warranty (40,983 miles).

Next day...check engine light comes on. Before I could call and reschedule, it goes off. Service manager states since it is off, wait, which is what I did. Over the next 3 months my check engine light would come on, sometimes for a day sometimes for only a few hours or until I started it again but then would go off but it did that 12-18 times. I received the recall notice and made an appointment since (at that time) my check engine light was on. Well, as luck would have it, the check engine light went off before I took it in. They serviced my truck and the service invoice for this service shows they replaced a glow plug, they did NOT reprogram the ECM per recall N192273630 since it had already been performed and then reprogrammed the ECM for recall N182179090 all no charge.

Quick question, would the reprogram for the latest recall (in this case recall N182179090) not incorporate the reprogramming needed for recall #N192273630?

Two issues here -

1) Do the manufacturers throw junk out there, wait for shit to show up, then issue recalls to fix their mistakes and charge customers for finding their mistakes?

2) I paid for the first ECM reprogram, then get a recall. If that recall indicates that it should have been performed for free but I had it performed BEFORE the recall was issued because I was experiencing issues, then I feel I should get my $ back. I mean we are only talking $171 but it's the principle here. How many freakin' times are they going to need to reprogram my ECM? A bunch of BS.

OK, end of rant. On a brighter note, no more low coolant messages on the DIC. I just hope my CEL stays off.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Anything emissions related should be covered by GM

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
That is correct RW. What i meant and didn't say i guess was like a fuel tank gauge so one knows about what is in the tank.
If my 2016 states when it is in the "Regen" process, i have never seen it on the screen. Could have been there and i missed it.
The only 'in process' type message is if it has been unable to complete regen after multiple attempts and the level of soot gets a bunch above the level that usually triggers regen. If that happens, it will give a ' regen - keep driving' (something like that) message.

L5P for 2020+ has a display that indicates levels up to 'full'.
By what has been posted it seems that 'indicator' is a better description of it than 'gauge'.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does anyone have a CTS2 that is showing distance since regen after having this update done? Or chime in if you have a CTS2 and it's not working. I started a case with EdgeProducts to track down this issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone have a CTS2 that is showing distance since regen after having this update done? Or chime in if you have a CTS2 and it's not working. I started a case with EdgeProducts to track down this issue.
my 2 cents. The CTS2 is working correctly,(hopefully) it's the update that GM did, they just removed that data/info feed from the software so people don't dwell on it

·
Registered
55 Posts
my 2 cents. The CTS2 is working correctly,(hopefully) it's the update that GM did, they just removed that data/info feed from the software so people don't dwell on it
I checked the "distance since Regen"on the CTS2 today after the truck got back from a run up north and its working again

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is a coincidence that your DEF level dropped below 30% after the recall was completed. I bet when you fill it, the display will go back to reading 'ok'.
You were 100% right, went back to "OK". Oh well... Why do you think they use a % display all the time? Clearly they're able to.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Since the recall, did you notice any differences?
For what I can remember the EGT post DPF (after recall was done) seems to run a little warm than it did. As I was not driving it on that trip and can't tell you the miles between regen, but before recall I was getting around 800-820 miles. I have a trip come up in the next 2 weeks so I will have a better idea ofter that trip.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts