Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here, and I'm in the market for a Duramax. Ive been a fan of chevy diesels my whole life. My folks own a 97' 2500 diesel suburban. So i'm no stranger to them.

My main question i have is do yall think a 2005 duramax 2500 LLY Crew cab 4x4 LT pkg with 156K miles is worth $16,980? Interior even still lookes brand new from the photos. I found it online and it seems to be a good deal but im not sure about the LLY engines. Ultimately I'd love an 06-07 LBZ but I can find one under $20K without over 200k miles on them.

I currently own a 2001 4x4 tacoma but just got a new job in the construciton field and need some more room, power, and cruise control cause i do alot of traveling and hauling supplies/tools.

So to all you LLY guys out there, have you been pleased with your engines? or should i wait to save a lil more money and go with an LBZ?

Thanks in advance,
Drew

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
welcome to the site. the lly is a very good engine. the biggest problem or restriction is the turbo mouth piece, easy fix though. if you like the truck, the price is reasonable. don't worry about the mileage so much, good maintenance and the trucks can see alot of miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats my thoughts. Here is a link to the two trucks i believe is the best deals around in my area.
Find Cars for Sale: Compare Cars - AutoTrader.com
But I think the 2007 is a lil over priced but I'm no expert. Take a look at the two and give me some advice on either. Im not too scared of high milage but i would like to keep it under or around 150K at most...

Yeah I know about the restricted mouthpiece. would be something i would do soon as i could. But ive also heard of headgasket and head stud problems, but that sounds like thats only when you get on it heavy which i don't

·
Registered
578 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the buy.

Sent from my Milestone X using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Welcome to the DF and good luck !

·
Registered
263 Posts
that 05 lly with the ranch hand, i went to buy that truck. the whole front of the bed is smashed into the cab at the bottom all the way across. I didnt find it til i already broght the truck, told them to take the bed liner out.

then thats when i saw the damage, i just chewed the sales man ass about it, ended up i drove from north alabama to buy it went home rideing with dad

he told me he didnt know about it, they clean the trucks up on the lot there. They put drop in bed liners in every truck.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

·
Registered
263 Posts
imho i would keep looking for anther trruck, found serval on crigs list last night i was looking for my neighbor of mine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that 05 lly with the ranch hand, i went to buy that truck. the whole front of the bed is smashed into the cab at the bottom all the way across. I didnt find it til i already broght the truck, told them to take the bed liner out.

then thats when i saw the damage, i just chewed the sales man ass about it, ended up i drove from north alabama to buy it went home rideing with dad

he told me he didnt know about it, they clean the trucks up on the lot there. They put drop in bed liners in every truck.
Wow, thanks, thats good to know. Might explain the price a lil better now lol. Yeah I'm definitely gonna keep lookin. I only put the 2007 on there to give yall an idea of what im lookin for. I keep an eye out on craigslist about everyday, but doesn't seem to be much in my area. I guess i need to broaden my search. If anyone finds something similar to those two, PM me a link to it and I'd appreciate it.

And Thanks for the welcomes hopefully I will be a Duramax owner soon :D

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
welcome to the DF!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
But I think the 2007 is a lil over priced but I'm no expert. Take a look at the two and give me some advice on either. Im not too scared of high milage but i would like to keep it under or around 150K at most...

Yeah I know about the restricted mouthpiece. would be something i would do soon as i could. But ive also heard of headgasket and head stud problems, but that sounds like thats only when you get on it heavy which i don't
The 07 in my opinion is not overpriced. Actually I'd take it over the 05, especially if doing a lot of long distance driving. The 6-speed is a more durable Alli, and double overdrives is nice for fuel milage. (My 06 beats my friends 05 by ~2.5 - 3 MPG.) As I understand the 06-07 LBZ is a more durable engine overall too, and it IS more powerful than the 05 LLY.
It's an LT with heated leather(like the 05), not cloth. Unless the pics are of the wrong truck, but probably just a bad click by seller.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Good luck in your search. Be patient and look for a deal. If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. Don't forget to use the VIN Check forum to your advantage, its a great tool.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Look on ebay, Thats where I found my truck and it was only 1.5 hours away, so I got to go look at it and drive it before I bought it.

JB

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 07 in my opinion is not overpriced. Actually I'd take it over the 05, especially if doing a lot of long distance driving. The 6-speed is a more durable Alli, and double overdrives is nice for fuel milage. (My 06 beats my friends 05 by ~2.5 - 3 MPG.) As I understand the 06-07 LBZ is a more durable engine overall too, and it IS more powerful than the 05 LLY.
It's an LT with heated leather(like the 05), not cloth. Unless the pics are of the wrong truck, but probably just a bad click by seller.
Yes technically its not OVERpriced, according to KBB its right at where it should be. But it does have little more miles than I'd like and the interior is leather but it shows a good bit of age in the drivers chair (and that it should with 178K). Yeah that is another advantage and reason i want a LBZ because of the 6 speed allison, and of course better mpg's

And yeah I'm workin on my 25 post count so i can take advantage of the VIN check

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
And yeah I'm workin on my 25 post count so i can take advantage of the VIN check
Round here that's priced pretty good. Not a steal, but good. Guess it's time to post-whore it up and hit that 25 mark quick.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Round here that's priced pretty good. Not a steal, but good. Guess it's time to post-whore it up and hit that 25 mark quick.
ha yeah I mean thats about as good as it gets around down here to. The only Dmax with LT pkg and under 200K miles for right at $20K. So its still an option but idk if it'll be there when I'm 100% committed to investing in a truck.

Ha yes it is, but I'll post whore on my own thread for now trying to reach 25 posts. unless one of you wants to run the VIN check on that 2007 Dmax for me :D

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
ha yeah I mean thats about as good as it gets around down here to. The only Dmax with LT pkg and under 200K miles for right at $20K. So its still an option but idk if it'll be there when I'm 100% committed to investing in a truck.

Ha yes it is, but I'll post whore on my own thread for now trying to reach 25 posts. unless one of you wants to run the VIN check on that 2007 Dmax for me :D
I WISH I could run VINs. Keep looking and maybe don't be afraid to travel. 06 LTs in like condition to mine go for 28 and change in a few days around here. I found mine in OK. It's a 1500 mile one-way drive but when I got home I'd spent 20K including travel. 90K on the clock. Just be sure to talk to the seller a LOT if you plan a trip. Gotta be sure it's someone you trust. I'd NEVER send a deposit, much rather risk a trip home empty over getting ripped.
Fill in info where your from, others can then help with stuff they've seen in your general area.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts