Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it’s time at 200+ k miles to replace front end parts. I am combing over Dmaxstore front end kits.

How imperative is it to get the new center link? What upgrade does that provide?

I know I need the following:

Steering and support

New pitman arm
New idler arm
New tie rods
PISK and other supports

Suspension

New UCAS
maybe keys

Has anyone done this work and can you provide info regarding the parts that would work best?

I plan on going up from 305/55/20 to 295/65/20.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,552 Posts
If your center link is bent or broken, replace it. If you have increased the power drastically, and depending on how hard you launch in 4wd, it might be a good idea to replace the center link. Lots of people replace with a straight center link that have no reason to.

My LB7 is, we think anyway-judging by how it competes with some other trucks, around 700 horse. I rebuild the front end back in 2012 when it wasn't making near the power it is now. But, I tend to improve beyond what it needs at the time when I make repairs on this truck too. I'm still running the factory stock center link. FabTech HD tie rods, Moog pitman and idler arms, and Cognito pisk, combined with Cognito upper control arms. I sled pull quite a bit in the summer time, I drive and tow with it still, it goes to the drag strip sometimes. I don't have any problem with the front end trying to pigeon-toe or the front wheels fighting each other, whether its on the dirt sled pulling or on the drag strip. I've had a locker in the front differential for three or four years now, and that theoretically should have made the front wheels want to face each other way more than before, but the truck still acts the same and travels where I point it with no fighting the steering. Personally, I don't see the need to install the straight center link if the truck is set up properly. Plus, the loss of turning radius and the tire scrub I wasn't a particular fan of either.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I currently don’t have any problems with my center link, not do I ever plan on sled pulling or launching. This is pretty much the fact that I have to go in there anyway-and I only want to do it once-and right. I’d only tow heavy sometimes and the rest of the time I’ll be rolling on bigger heavy wheels and tires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts