Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum and and to diesels. Bought 05 3500 last Dec. and so far, I am 50/50 on liking it and absolutely hating it. I enjoy the quietness of the duramax and also the overall comfort level and appearance of the truck, all the reasons I choose Chevy in the first place. It's all the little things that bother the hell out of me. I thought I did my research on common problems with the truck, but turns out I'm not very good with research, lol.

First, I got a speeding ticket in Ohio because the the stupid speedo said I was going 70 yet I was really going 84. Verified with friend, driving side by side, and also verified on gps. I know there is some error involved in each instrument but not 14 mph. It also gets worse as the speed increases. 90mph(actual speed) is right around 73-74 on speedo. It is only accurate up to about 25mph. So I do my research on the interweb and find the "big" stepper motor problem with these trucks. No big deal, found a nice dealer here in WA. They explain a bit to me and recommended taking to local speedometer shop to get stepper motors replaced. Price is only $100 and something so I do it. Didn't fix the problem. Speedo is off exactly the same amounts. Could it be a speed sensor problem? Guy at dealer was convinced it wasn't. To answer your question before you ask, NO I did not put bigger tires on. LT265/75R16, just like it says on door jam.

Second problem, drove for about a month and noticed a small hesitation right around 35mph. Best I can explain the feeling was like a miss on a gas engine. Figured it had to be fuel problem. Changed fuel filter, also changed the "kinked fuel lines" and it still does this every once in a while. It also has the stupid dealers stumped because they can't do anything if it doesn't throw a code, which its not.

Third problem, really small but also..wtf. The #5 setting on the fan does not work. 1, 2, 3, and 4 work just not 5. I'm I just being stupid or missing something? Didn't think to test this during purchase. Did not attempt to fix or troubleshoot yet.

Anyways, I still like the truck but these things are bugging the hell out of me. My 1991 F-150 didn't have any of these problems. Should I go back old Fords??? lol Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey bigjohn I'm originally from Portage, PA. bought 1 1/2 west of the burgh. Ever hear of portage?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome! Sorry for your issues with your truck.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Welcome o the forum! Try not to get discouraged, all problems are fixable. The factory tire size was 245/75R16, unless its a dually then they are smaller. That still doesn't cause that muh of a discrepancy in the speedo, gauge problem. The hi speed fan problem could be he relay. Clean your MAF sensor.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Factory tire is is 245/75. 265 will make it off some. A out:7 mph at 60 per my calculation. The heater is probably just the resister. I wouldn't ever trust a dealer if I didn't have too

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Sounds like stupid simple problems, nothing to hate a truck about. Just get efi live and they can correct your speedo plus pickup a few mpg.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

·
Confidence Antler
1,997 Posts
Sounds like your truck possibly had a lift on it at one time, and the previous owner took it off to sell it/trade it and get cash for the lift and may have recalibrated to too small of tire size. You can have the tire size changed with a tuner or the dealer may do it for you, if that is indeed the problem. Traditionally stepper motor problems are binary in nature, they either work or they don't, they don't usually work while giving an inaccurate readout.

Welcome to the forum and hopefully you can get these problems sorted out!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
:welcome

1 - 12 of 12 Posts