Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site and also to the diesel truck scene. I just traded my Z71 for an 02 2500HD. I love the truck so far but I have some questions about somethings I've noticed.

If I mash the gas pedal after it shifts gears there is a momentary lag then a surge in rpm/power. My buddy said it could be the turbo lagging a little? but there is a split second or so of hesitation.... Anybody have any ideas on what to look for or try? Also there seems to be a large voltage drop during the engine surge, but only when i have the pedal fully depressed. It will go from 16 volts to 14 or just a hair below on the voltage gauge. IS that normal or is the alternator having some issues and dropping out at higher rpms?

Also I just pulled my 5800lb travel trailer from Mobile to Destin Fl for the weekend. I love the difference the diesel makes pulling. I noticed the truck could use a little extra help on a long incline. What would be a good inexpensive programmer/tuner. The truck has 168000 miles on it and a MRBP exhaust. I dont want to beat on it too much. I'm about to deploy and bought this truck so the wife and kids could continue camping while I'm overseas. I just want something to boost the HP and maybe MPG a little but wont kill the transmisison.

I have about 500 or so to play with the truck and want to get the most for my money. After I get back from the sandbox I'll get more aggressive with the performance stuff.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Welcome to Duramax Forum......:drink

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Welcome BamaBoy! Theres nothing to be worried about. When you go from a gasser to a diesel it will take time to get used the the turbo lag that occurs. Upgrading the intake, exhaust manifold, turbo mouthpiece, downpipe ect. can drastically decrease this effect. As far as the best tuner for mpgs/hp for the price..In my opinion is the quadzilla stealth 2 programmer. Even a tuner this mild can reduce the "felt" lag. PS. an aftermarket intercooler...and waste gate...goodbye lag!

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Welcome and thank you for your service! I agree with the Quadzilla, cant beat it for the price. Just remember to be safe you wanna run it on the 90 hp setting or less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.