Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's goin on yall ? First I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Joey and I'm from Georgia. This is my first diesel, so this is all new to me. Lol. I know my way around gassers fairly well and I'm starting to learn about this one. Mainly from this forum. Haha. I just got my truck about 2 months ago it's a 2003 reg cab long bed 4x4 lb7. It's dark green. I haven't really had time or the funds to do any performance yet , because I have been fixin misc other things on it , hub bearings window motors tires fluid changes and filter changes, one of the door handles didn't work etc..
I am saving up for some performance mods though along with some more visual stuff (tint, tow mirrors stuff like that) Right now I am looking at some 20" xd hoss and 33 1250 toyos some sort of levelIng kit or upper control arms so everything sits like it should,and at some point down the road the zone 6". I am also looking at the diablosport tuner because from what I have heard it's less likely to mess up my trans? Some egt and boost gauges. 4" exhaust haven't decided on single or dual yet( I really like the dual) even tho I know it
serves no purpose. LOL and some time down the road a built trans and efi live (deff don't have the $$ for that right now.)
I am mainly looking for input on the performance stuff above and the leveling kits etc . I know y'all can steer me in the right direction on all of that.

Thank y'all !
Joey

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man, I'm actually at work so can't call now. But as soon as I get a chance I will. Doin this on my phone while were slow. Lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump

·
Doin it...
1,278 Posts
Don't get a tuner unless its EFI. There are tunes that are "stock tranny safe". And on the exhaust I personally prefer the 5" but thats just me. Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask questions!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So don't get anything other than efi? How much does that usauly run $$ wise? The only reason I didn't want to just save up for that first is because this diesel shop up the road said the stock tranny wouldn't hold up. But I also heard the stock tranny could hold upto 500 hp? But then again I'm new to this..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And 5" exhaust does it sound any diff?

·
Doin it...
1,278 Posts
EFI programmers can make tunes that are "tranny safe" so you dont fry your transmission. I'm trying to remember how much I paid for my old truck, I wanna say $600 but I may be off. But it is WELL WORTH THE MONEY! As for the exhaust, the 5" takes away the "drone" sound and makes it alot better sounding IMO. Someone will tune in with other ideas and probably a better price for EFI.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that ain't bad dude up the street at that shop quoted almost a grand.
Something tells me not to deal with him. Haha
I appreciate your input man. Efi can have more tunes though right? Like now I need the tranny safe ones but later on down the road I want to build the trans do I just get new tunes or something?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome! Just signed up myself, and I'm also from Georgia. What part are you from? I'm from down around Macon.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm from Walton county. Middle of nowhere haha.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Been there many a time. Back when I played High School football we always played a school up there by the name of George Walton. Good times!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea that school is about 15 mins from my house.haha.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Well that ain't bad dude up the street at that shop quoted almost a grand.
Something tells me not to deal with him. Haha
I appreciate your input man. Efi can have more tunes though right? Like now I need the tranny safe ones but later on down the road I want to build the trans do I just get new tunes or something?
i can see u have had no help on this so hear goes

you can get a dsp2 or dsp5 witch is either two tunes that u can change on the fly or five on the fly witch means change going down the road.
but you can get 5 tunes and have a stock trans like this
1 20 hp clean up tune
2 50 hp tow tune
3 80 horse daily driver
4 110 street tune
5 150 race tune

or whatevr in the hell you want

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really appreciate that man. I was hopin someone would tell me more about efi. Do I order like a hand held type thing then load the tunes in with that? I'd rather have the one with five. Jus because if I get the two I'm gonna want the 5. Idk if you know but how much would it be for all of it? Like the switch and tunes and all. Could I install the switch myself? I'm pretty good with wiring stereos and stuff.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
yeah its not hard u take ur ecm out and send it to rob coddens witch is atp trucks . and they start tuning at 300.00 plus 45 for a switch and 65 for a locking keyed switch
plus ur shipping so about 400 and i just did it and man what a difference . i love it.
any other questions ? the switch is easy all you do is take ur ecm send it off like i said
wait .......then get it back take the switch and wire it through the cab firewall to the ecm connectors. and pop the top of them off with a flat head and put a power wire in one hole and a ground wire in one hole and make sure you hear a little click when u shove it in and put back together mount ur switch and then go mess ur trans up lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts