Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
Ive used your forum before for fixing parts on my other truck. But Last year I was able to acquire a 2003 Silverado 3500 with a LB7 Diesel engine. Besides tractors this is my first diesel truck. I live in Upstate NY so I really lucked out finding it completely rust free with only 35000 miles, and its bone stock.

My question is what should I do to this truck to keep it running for many years to come? Ive already changed the brake lines and got it undercoated, and put new tires on as they were still the original. I have an 04 Silverado 2500 with 200 thousand miles so I have an idea of wear items for these year vehicles, but id like to take care of this dually the best that I can. Ive heard these engines have injector issues and I know some of these older Duramax engines blow head gaskets, but im sure there are things I can do to mitigate any of these issues before they happen.

I am a farmer so anytime im in this truck it has a trailer on it.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a good find, I would consider installing a lift pump or at least extra fuel filtration, especially if it's not going to get a lot of long daily commutes. Keep it stock and run good fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Congrats on the unbelievably low mileage find! I purchased my LB7 in 2011 with 36k and that was low miles 9 years ago. From what I've gathered head gaskets are usually only a problem after tuning and bumping up the power. The transmissions don't like too much added HP either. It seems the guys on here that leave their trucks stock besides added filtration systems get the most longevity with the least problems. Due to age I would change all the fluids ASAP. If its 4x4 some day you will have to address the pump rub issue in the transfer case but probably not till after 100k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts