1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
366 Posts
My truck had a mbrp cat back system on it when I bought it. I had about as much drone with it as my 5" straightpipe system.

Did you do a downpipe? I've read that if you do a straightpipe and not a downpipe you get a howling noise. Maybe that's what your hearing. Maybe some if the dealers in here will have some suggestions since many of them have installed many exhaust systems.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Check to see if the muffler is on backwards lol. No joke.

I can't remember which way the baffles on the inside go, but I believe you should read MBRP from left to right on either side of the muffler.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Muffler is on the right way, that was one of the first things I checked. It is a 4 inch turbo back with the original downpipe. Around 60mph/ 15-1600rpm it is definitely howling and annoying. I am all for a good sounding exhaust but this is overkill at highway speed. Havent tested extended higher speeds.

Maybe I need to start driving faster?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Get bigger tires and it will change your RPMs at cruise. I have a drone at about 62, any higher or lower and it goes away. Mine is a 5" though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just put on a set of 18s, I will mess with the cruising speed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I added the resonator. It helped a bit so I'd say it was worth it. It is basically another 18" mufflier.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I added the resonator. It helped a bit so I'd say it was worth it. It is basically another 18" mufflier.
I already have a resonator, you are saying to ad another one?

·
Diesel Junky
1,109 Posts
i have no drone at any speed with the the mbrp 4" muffer kit. ditch the stock dp, bet its causing the drone big exhaust restrictive dp.. turbulent air

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had the same drone when I installed my MBRP so after a bunch of research I ended up buying a Corsa muffler. It's very free-flowing and zero drone but when your foot is in it the sound is nice and throaty. Although it's pretty pricey it was very worth it for me to get rid of the annoying drone and still benefit from a straight through muffler.

Here are a couple pics:

The size difference between the Corsa and MBRP

Installed

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My truck is the 07 classic, no DP.

I will give things another run through today.

So many people comment on zero drone and only a handful mention drone. Not really sure what that means but I will take a closer look at the exhaust. I dont mind a bit of noise but at 60 the drone feels like you are at the dentist.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Your truck has a DP, that's a Down Pipe. An aftermarket one, like the Diamond Eye can change the way your exhaust sounds completely.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Missed that you had the resonator already...quieter muffler time...or more sound deadening.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your truck has a DP, that's a Down Pipe. An aftermarket one, like the Diamond Eye can change the way your exhaust sounds completely.
Sorry I thought you where talking about the dpf. I will consider a DP.

Seems less drone at 50 and 70. I still havent had time to crawl back under and examine things.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Missed that you had the resonator already...quieter muffler time...or more sound deadening.
What are people doing for sound deadening?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I had the same drone when I installed my MBRP so after a bunch of research I ended up buying a Corsa muffler. It's very free-flowing and zero drone but when your foot is in it the sound is nice and throaty. Although it's pretty pricey it was very worth it for me to get rid of the annoying drone and still benefit from a straight through muffler.

Here are a couple pics:

The size difference between the Corsa and MBRP

Installed
I did the Corsa too, and love it. I hated the MBRP drone. But I've rode in trucks identical to mine with the same MBRP exhaust system and no drone. Some truck drone, some don't.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2006-07 Crew Cab / Short Bed; 6.6L Diesel (All) - - - - - - 4" System; Single Side Exit; w/ Hydroformed Tip;
DOWNPIPE NOT INCLUDED 15205 $1,079.99

So far this is all I have found for corsa. Anyone have a link on just the price for the muffler?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow, the Banks 4" Monster, is $250 cheaper and no issues AT ALL!

·
Registered
994 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts