Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been almost a week since my wife and I bought my father-in-law's 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with Duramax. He mainly used it for hunting trips with my wife. it has been parked inside the garage when not in use. No rust at all. Truck is mint except for a dent on the passenger extended cab door that met a tree sometime somewhere.
We are very fortunate, grateful and want to keep do all the best to keep it for generations to come. Very eager to learn from all the experience in this forum. Get advice on services to focus for best preventive maintenance. I have no intentions to do any after market performance tunes. Will try additives for fuel.

Aside from changing out the wipers, trying out the Honda 22" which are working well on my 2006 Suburban 2500 and several honda CR-Vs. First maintenance steps will be oil and transmission service.

My father-in-law is big on Amsoil for oil and trans fluid. I have decided to go with Rotella T6 15W-40 with Mobil 1 303A filter with intent to change it every 7k miles or once a year. For the Allison trans, going to do the double fill with the TranSynd and Ac Delco spin filter (could not get the Allison filter in time). Plan to do the filter once a year (it's cheap) and the full fluid change once every 40k miles or 3 years.

Still deciding whether I will do the fuel filter or have my mechanic do it as part of a general inspection. I enjoy doing as much maintenance as I can manage. Want to leave some of the easy stuff to my mechanic who I trust and have had excellent service for many years. Thinking he can do the fuel filter, drive trains, brake and radiator flush.

Here it is... needs a thorough cleaning as soon as weather cooperates.

Car Vehicle Speedometer Odometer Trip computer

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Welcome!

Is that a dump bed? Must be nice to be not have any rust lol. What a clean gem. Where exactly are you located?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bed is the standard size with a Glasslite Illusion tanneau cover. Need to replace the struts that no longer hold the hard shell (fiberglass) topper up.

The truck was in Spokane WA.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
1,484 Posts
Wow you’ve got a real jewel there. Happy driving!

·
Registered
2019 3500HD 4x4 Cclb, Banks Intake, AG Diesel Module
861 Posts
Nice

·
Premium Member
3,676 Posts
Welcome to DF!! The classic non-DEF/DPF trucks have gained a lot of respect ever since the "improved" emission systems were introduced. Enjoy your new truck!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
What is that eyelet for between your cab and bed that i see?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good eye. The eyelet was for mounting a Bigfoot camper which he had briefly when he bought the truck.
Today made significant improvements with oil change and double transmission fluid change.
if anyone is looking for Transynd, check out Napa Parts and take advantage of the 20% off when buying 3+ items.

thanks for the welcome!

·
Premium Member
10,808 Posts
Welcome to the DF! Love the old body style.

Reactions: alg
1 - 9 of 9 Posts