Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Just want to introduce myself. I'm a new Duramax owner(well new to me) and have no experience with diesel trucks so I'm here to do some research and listen to experts. I have a 2007 Duramax 2500HD Classic CCSB in decent condition with about 170,000 miles on it. I really like driving this truck so far and hope to eventually do a couple of minor mods to it when the old bank account is healed up. First thing will be a lift pump and then possibly a tuner with an economy and tow setting. Don't really need much more power as my biggest load will be about 10,000#. First couple of mileage checks were 14 mpg pulling my Toyota RAV4 home from the dealer and 15 mpg puttering around town and taking my camper out on the road for a short towing tryout. I will put about 4-5,000 miles a year on it, mostly pulling a smaller 5th wheel camper with my boat behind. It will be my bad weather winter snow goer if need be so I will need advise on winter fuel treatments. I live in North Dakota where 10-30 below isn't uncommon. If anyone wants more info or has any suggestions just let fly. I'm always willing to learn from someone who knows what they are talking about. Thanks. Here's a copy of my first post:

I just bought my 2007 Duramax Classic 2500HD CCSB from a dealer about a month ago and was told they didn't know much about maintenance or history. I had them run a CarFax report and if it's a GM dealer they can also run a search on their system that will pull up all work done at certified GM dealers. The CarFax is pretty minimal because not all shops report their work but it did give me a list of all warranty work which listed an EGR replacement at 51,000 and a couple of accidents reported. The GM computer report was much more informative. It listed oil changes, filter changes, transmission fluid flush, tie rods replaced, front end alignment, new tires installed along with a few other things. The most important item was replacement of the transfer case rear half which was good news to me as they had a rub through problem I had found out about during my prepurchase research. The report had dates and mileages for all the work and really eased my mind because it looked like the previous owner was pretty conscientious about maintenance. It was also nice knowing how many miles were on the tires (Falken 265/75R16's). Even though the dealer said they had given the vehicle a complete checkup and replaced a couple of glow plugs and both batteries I took it to a highly recommended shop and had them check it over. They said it looked pretty clean other than a leaky tranny cooler hose which they replaced along with the fuel and tranny filters. The dealer had just done an oil and filter change so now I know where I stand on all the important maintenance jobs. One interesting thing the shop guys told me was the the CAT converter had been removed and a different exhaust system was installed. I had assumed that the pickup was bone stock as that work didn't show up on any of the reports. The shop foreman made the remark that if someone had gone through the trouble of removing the converter there was a good chance they had done a tune on the engine too but there was no way they could find out if that was done. Got the name of the previous owner so I'm going to try to contact him to see what other info I can get but according to CarFax I'm the fourth owner so a complete history may not be possible. Hope my experience helps you.

·
Premium Member
10,741 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
Welcome aboard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts