Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

New pickup for the end of the month

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  vaughninms 
#1 ·
Hi, i currently own a chevy 93 K2500 with 6.2l diesel.

i have start to build a cottage that his 150 mile away and the road contain many steep hill. i alway carry an atv in my box and a 6x10 trailer with 2 atv , i rate my cargo about 3000 lbs includins the trailer.

i want to buy a new pickup because my old 6.2 lack of power:drink

i am very happy with the fuel economy of my current 6.2

wich 6.6 engine version is best for the fuel economy ?

for solo ?
and when towing over steep hill terrain ?

what you think about ford powerstroke and dodge cummins atrernative vs fuel economy ?

thank christ !:rockin

#7 ·
'01-mid '04 for the LB7. However these have injector issues. They are under the valve covers and it's a poor design. So much so that GM, in order to settle a class action law suit, extended the warranty for LB7 injectors to 7 years/200,000 miles.
If it were me, I'd look for an 06 or early 07 (also known as classic) with the LBZ engine. You get a 6 speed transmission, no big issues with the engine, and you start with 360 hp. Add a TransgoJr kit to the transmission (kit is less than 100 and you might be able to find someone to install it for 250 - or you can do it yourself), add a programmer and you should be able to get 20 on the highway if you lay off the skinny pedal.

#10 ·
LLYs are not nearly as good on fuel as the LB7s. Stock you will probably see 12-13 in town, 15-16 highway empty.
There are multiple threads on this, but the 04.5 and 05 LLYs have a poorly designed and highly restrictive turbo inlet mouthpiece. This is an easy fix by ordering an LBZ turbo mouthpiece from gmpartsdirect.com. They are around $70-75, require about 20-30 minutes to modify to fit the LLY and require you go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a 4" coupling. You can also go with an AFE mouthpiece (about $200) or go to Killer Bee Performance :: Get the most from your Duramax! and order KBs IOH kit ($325). It comes complete with step by step color instructions and no modifications. 15 minute install. Most go for the LBZ part and modify it. You can search the forum and read for yourself. Other than that, the LLYs are pretty good. Another easy and cheap mod that will help is the "******* intake". Cost - about $2. However, you are still stuck with the 5-speed tranny.
If I were you, I would really consider looking for an '06 LBZ. There's nothing pressing that you need to do to the engine, there's no DPF, and it has the 6-speed Allison. You WILL enjoy it much better, imo. I wish I had held out for an LBZ myself.
Whatever you get, you will probably want to open up the exhaust with a 4" system. These diesels like to breathe and the vendors on here sell them at fantastic prices!
Hope this helps.

#12 ·
I can get 21 hwy mpg with my 2005 LLY if I drive it sensably.

#14 ·
How can you get 21? Driving downhill with a tailwind?

#13 · (Edited)
LBZ not quite as good, but with exhaust, transgoJr, and programmer, you will have a much better truck than the LB7 AND that gets as good or better mileage.

I'd stay away from the LB7s now due to the injector issues they have. Now that the 7 year warranty is about gone (if not already gone for the 01-03 models) you are at risk for paying out of your own pocket. Those babies are NOT cheap!

#17 ·
Check the VIN...8th digit I think is the key. 1=LB7, 2=LLY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.