Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just watched this video and I am very intrigued on what they have to say. As always, you do all the dirty work for the greater good of the community and I thank you for that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
682 Posts
Expensive filter at $36 but I guess it’s cheaper then the alternative .... I will probably stick to ACDelco or Baldwin for a sub $15 filter. I run about 5k miles a month so it would add up if I’m changing out $36 filter 8-9 times a year.....I’m cheap I guess.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run about 5k miles a month so it would add up if I’m changing out $36 filter 8-9 times a year.....I’m cheap I guess.
The idea is with it's huge surface area, it will stay on the engine allot longer.

I think the Blue Donaldson still has it beat, it both price and performance.

In the video, the guy pops off the little "shower cap" filter cover. The ONLY filters I've seen with those, were made in China.

I sent a email to PPE asking for real micron and efficiency numbers, as well as country of origin. They have yet to reply.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/...-donaldson-dbl7483-oil-filter-conversion.html

·
Registered
682 Posts
So are you saying I can leave this thing on for 2+ oil changes if I average 6k miles before I change oil?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So are you saying I can leave this thing on for 2+ oil changes if I average 6k miles before I change oil?
Yes. I have the Donaldson on my LLY right now. I service it every 8k to 10k miles. I put the Donaldson on and am going for 16k miles before I take it off and send a sample to Blackstone to see how it did.

It's currently at 14k miles.....

Time will tell.

With 50% better filtration ( 20 micron vs 30 micron at 98.7% efficiency) and 3x the surface area over regular filters, it should go 16k miles .....easy.

They are $24....so $12 per 8k miles is in line with most other filters but offer much better filtration

·
Registered
332 Posts
Looks like PPE is following the same idea with the transmission filters.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Micron numbers without efficiency numbers is pretty worthless. I called PPE to ask the country of origin. They wouldn't say, which means China.

I'll pass........

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, Dane only commented on the place of origin.
And my comment were poorly made.
When I say "PPE ruined it"..... I did not mean the filter, I meant the idea to development a extended life filter, without published the filter data.

A friend uses them with no issues, and loves them.

·
Premium Member
2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD
29 Posts
Question: Since the filter sits almost parallel to the ground, my previous truck it hung straight down. The PPE filter is longer and heavier then the stock filter. It therefore has more leverage on the oil filter mount than the stock filter. Any concerns regarding this added leverage / weight on the filter mount …especially on rough roads?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Alright, we will try Donaldson for the incoming LLY project. This will my buddy's new workhorse so it should have reliable stuff. He already ordered a new set of tires from 4Wheelonline and start working on it next week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts