Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
If youre claiming i dont tow youre off the ranch, big boy. 馃榿 you obviously didnt read my signature. But Im glad youve expressed yourself freely. Now we know.

. . . . . . . . . .
"repenses"...? Hmm...what kind of guy, of what social class, would have trouble with the word "responses"...?

Reminds me of a little "survey" I took (just because I am a dick-head..) in the parking lot of a restaurant my wife and I were at the other day.

Surveyed 10 pick-up trucks.... various types and makes. Looked at the back end. Five of the receivers obviously had a hitch in them at one time or another, or had a hitch already in them which looked used.

Of the remaining five, three had receivers in which the shiny paint suggested they NEVER used them for towing. (yes, I checked the beds; nothing there either). Two either didn't even have receivers or the receivers were capped off !

Bottom line - let's not make fun of each other's choice of vehicles. Free country (at least until a certain political party gets back in power...!) As "horn" suggested in another post, some of us either already caught a girl, or are too old to care, so for us...a truck is a truck, not a phallic symbol.

Registered
Hood Stripe

Looks good. I did the same on my 2019 HD to cut down on the sun glare coming off the back of the hood bump....

Premium Member
My opinion is the ONLY person who has to like it is the OP................

But I happen to like it as well.

Premium Member
My opinion is the ONLY person who has to like it is the OP................

But I happen to like it as well.
I agree but if someone doesn't want different opinions then it shouldn't be asked.

Premium Member
I agree but if someone doesn't want different opinions then it shouldn't be asked.
Ive got no problems with opinions differing...........It is just that some on here, one or two, seem not to be able to remain civil.............One of them in particular Ive already blocked...........but when others quote him I see he is still the same immature person.

My parents taught me "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

I guess that lesson is no longer universally taught

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
I never said I didn't want opinions. I asked for them. There's a difference between offering constructive criticism, and being a dick bag.

Registered
I still wanna see more pictures of this at different angles...

Registered
I want to see more pictures of the trex lol

Reactions: J83

Registered
Well I'm a big fan of the old SS stripes on the GM's from back in the day too. This single stripe looks very good on the hood. Much better than the duals.
That's my opinion and the rest of you are all just flat-out wrong!! :biggun

Premium Member
Phony black panels came stock. Pain to clean. I like the stripe on the OP's hood. Clean design and it fits the hood well. Did you paint it or is it a decal?

Registered
鈥︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹︹.
Wouldn't real, working vents on the back of the hood be good for the motor; provide increased air-flow? And if that is a "yes", has anyone tried it? I'd like to do it but looks like I'd have to cut holes/slits, etc. in an area that gives strength to the hood hinges. ? ? ? ?

the front end of the truck is very open, and is designed to wash air through the engine bay and out of the truck so adding louvers to the hood may actually detract from the intended airflow through the engine bay. Over heating of the engine is not really a common issue with the exception of one specific series of duramax engine, and even then its only under fairly harsh conditions. Consider also that the engine needs to be up to a certain temperature to run efficiently, so if you were to cool the engine bay too much, you may actually increase engine wear and emissions while decreasing mileage.

Registered
the front end of the truck is very open, and is designed to wash air through the engine bay and out of the truck so adding louvers to the hood may actually detract from the intended airflow through the engine bay. Over heating of the engine is not really a common issue with the exception of one specific series of duramax engine, and even then its only under fairly harsh conditions. Consider also that the engine needs to be up to a certain temperature to run efficiently, so if you were to cool the engine bay too much, you may actually increase engine wear and emissions while decreasing mileage.
Yep, you live in Alaska, the only state where over-cooling is a big issue! But ya, it isn't really helpful to alter the air flow under the hood.

But that brings up another issue. It used to be a highly desirable thing to louver everything on a vehicle. Hoods, fenders, trunk lids, roofs, you name it. It was a fad that went away but might still have some uses today. Purely from an aesthetic point of view I could see doing that to a truck. It's no my thing but others might like it. One thing to keep in mind though is that the base of the windshield is a high pressure area. That is why it is the one place that gets factory louvers on many vehicles to become the inlet for the HVAC. You can't vent to it effectively.

Now back to the OP's question, which I think was more of a request for kudos, not criticism. It was more along the lines or "Look at what I did mom!"

To that end I'd say, "You done good, boy." I think the stripe looks very nice. It fits well, is well done and to my eye is aesthetically pleasing. Add to that the reduction in glare off the hood and the increased ability to spot the truck in a parking lot full of similar white trucks and I think it is a winner from every angle. Of course the camper helps to find the truck in a parking lot but that's another thing.

However, no matter what you do, if you ask for opinions you should expect some negative responses. As long as you like it, what difference does it make?

Registered
Yep, you live in Alaska, the only state where over-cooling is a big issue! But ya, it isn't really helpful to alter the air flow under the hood.

But that brings up another issue. It used to be a highly desirable thing to louver everything on a vehicle. Hoods, fenders, trunk lids, roofs, you name it. It was a fad that went away but might still have some uses today. Purely from an aesthetic point of view I could see doing that to a truck. It's no my thing but others might like it. One thing to keep in mind though is that the base of the windshield is a high pressure area. That is why it is the one place that gets factory louvers on many vehicles to become the inlet for the HVAC. You can't vent to it effectively.

Now back to the OP's question, which I think was more of a request for kudos, not criticism. It was more along the lines or "Look at what I did mom!"

To that end I'd say, "You done good, boy." I think the stripe looks very nice. It fits well, is well done and to my eye is aesthetically pleasing. Add to that the reduction in glare off the hood and the increased ability to spot the truck in a parking lot full of similar white trucks and I think it is a winner from every angle. Of course the camper helps to find the truck in a parking lot but that's another thing.

However, no matter what you do, if you ask for opinions you should expect some negative responses. As long as you like it, what difference does it make?

yea, up here your more worried about restricting the flow than improving it.... most diesels run one of these for about 8 months a year. speaking of which.... i should order one for my LML... dont think the LB7 one will work.

I also like the stripe on the OP truck, breaks up the light paint a bit, looks good.

Registered
I had a sweet custom cardboard one for awhile :rofl

Reactions: KaliMax

Registered
GM has gotten so stupid about those winter fronts. Travel with a guy that gets a new truck each year. They made make them damn near impossible to put on.

My 2013 chevys I put the top on like they want it, but bungie cord the bottom so I can easily adjust the air flow.

I loved how easy my 2010 GMC front was designed. Slid down both sides of the grill. I could adjust flow just by tucking in the top and bottom.

Premium Member
Yep, when I lived in Fairbanks I had a 79 Bronco. Used to put a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator with a 4 x 4 hole cut in the center to let a little bit of air through. It fit right between the AC Condenser and the radiator. Cheap, worked perfect.

Also swapped out the thermostat from 197 degree to 212 degree. Made the heater work SO much better when the temps were real low.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for the positives and negatives, fellas. I really wasn't sold on this but its growing on me. I really like that SS style stripe on the white truck. That looks killer.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts