Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to figure out whether to buy a Duramax or Ford 7.3. I've had both Ford and GMC trucks and liked them both. My only small diesel experiance was a 96 Ford Dully. I'm planning on retiring and pulling a 30' Airestream around on my hunting and fishing adventures. So I'm here mostly to learn.:)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
DMAX all the way. alot or power with a nice ride. welcome to the df

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Welcome to the DF! Duramax all the way...

·
Needs more go fast
12,518 Posts
welcome to the df!!!
dont get a 7.3 there slow :rof
good engine but slow and crappy for power

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome to the duramax forum. The 7.3 is a great engine as long as you don't want to go fast. It will last forever. However, the 7.3 models have transmission problems. In fact I know multiple people who have had to replace the tranny on their 7.3s, sometimes more than once. I would go with a duramax. Just watch out for the injectors on LB7s. Hope this helps! Good luck with your truck search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the welcome and the comments. I didn't know about the tranny prob. w/ the Ford, so have already learned something new. From what I've read the GM's are not without some potetion problems too. I read one thread that said the Ford had the best interior, but I don't know where that's coming from. I really like the lay out of the GM's trucks with consoles in them. Are quality issues here? Speed is not an issue with me. I drive big rigs, and have learned speed sucks fuel. Being on afixed income, I expect mileage to my biggest concern. I haven't driven either yet, am probably going to start actually lookin at trucks this month. I am leaning toward the GM though.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
A friend of mine had a Ford 7.3 and loved it for the pulling of a 32ft goose neck camper. They got tired of getting beat around with the Ford suspension so after ridding in mine and not being able to hear the engine,(in comparison), they went and bought one. Now they are enjoying the ride and impressed with the power.

BTW, Welcome, glad to have you.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,976 Posts
I think the newer Ford have a decent interior, certainly more roomy but I think the comfort of the Gm interior is worth the trade off on space. There are some issues with the early Dmax and then the second Gen Dmax. The LLY problems are easily fixed, change turbo mouth piece and check injector harness. The LB7 has injector issues. Some times they last forever and sometimes they do not. It is a crap shoot. If you get a LBZ they do not have any known issues. The Gm tranny can go on you if you add more than 90 rwhp, If you do not plan on racing it you will be fine. it is possible to do some performance upgrades without sacrificing drivetrain components. They just have to be done in moderation. All in all I would say you will be happy with most any Duramax you choose. They all make more power than the 7.3 out of the box and they all seem to last a good long time if they are maintained and not abused.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Welcome to the site..Go with the Dmax,the Allison is great also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts