Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to get the 245's off my truck so after a lot of looking I went with the Cooper 255/85/16. I love these tires but they are about 33 1/3 inches and just fit in the front wheel well with out any rub. Of course now the speedo is off by about 7 mph @ 70 mph per GPS.

I asked a couple of the local dealers if they would recalibrate and they will....FOR $115.00. I'm looking for a cheap way to recalibrate, I can get the Hypertech pp3 for $299.00 free shiping on a couple of sites. Are there any alternatives? I'm not really concerned with the xtra horses/torque but I would like better milage.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Thats probally your best bet if your not looking for real good performace it will do everything you want. MY self i recomend the diablo predator it seems to do a little better on mpg and has some real good performance if you want it! Tha predator programer is a little more $$. A few of the site vendors sell them IIRC Diesel nut has a good Price on the predator!!

Hope this helps some,
Caleb

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, thanks.

I looked into the Diablo and from what I can find its the same price or 20-40 dollars more.

So keeping in mind that if I do more than just recal the speedo, all I want is the best milage I can get. Which one Daiblo or Hypertech and why???

What would be the best setting on these things for milage, least ammount of wear and tear on truck, tranny, engine, turbo..etc. I'm not the type of guy that does 1/4 miles. I do occasionally tow 3 quads and related gear, about 3000-3500 lbs total.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i would recommend the diablo,i have heard great results from that tuner allthough i don't run it myself,i run the ppe and love it but they are more money..good luck and keep us posted on what you do

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also went to Cooper tires, 255/85. I wanted the height of a 285/75 & not the width. Cooper & Toyo(I think) are the only ones who carry that size. I already have Blully Dog Tripple Dog w/outlook to calibrate my tires. Works good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, they have all the traction I need, decent on the road also. Is it just me or are they a little loud going down the road? I really dont have anthing to compare them to except the stock tires that were on it when I bought it. I can live with it because these tires seem to do great off road in the dry desert out here. I'll have to see how they wear, Ive only got about 1000 miles on them.

Unloaded what air pressure do you run in them? They max out at 65 psi, do you run them right at 65 front and back?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Personally, I like the predator since you can check your injector balance rates. Power seems to be a little better than the power pup I used to have. Although, I think my truck "surges" sometimes, but that may be because I have a second programmer hooked up. Even when I have the second one set to stock, it still advances the timing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I run 55psi in the rear & 60 psi in the front empty. I have had these tires on for about 20,000 miles so far. It will be interesting to see how many miles they will go. And yes, they are a little noisy a hard road.

It would be nice the check the balance rates but I have not had any trouble with Bullydog at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the input, seems like if you ask 10 people this question you get 10 different answers. Not necessarily a bad thing. I still don't know which one I'm gonna get, I'm still finding it hard to justify spending the 300-400 just to fix the speedo & get 1-2 mpg.

The only thing I know for sure is I'll sell the truck before I'll give a dealer 125 to do the speedo, and I'm not selling the truck.

I'm doing the first oil change at 2500 miles tomarrow, should I change the trans filter as well? The manual seems to say 25K miles but do the filter at the first service, true or to soon?

Thanks,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.