Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the forum and I don't have a diesel yet. I'm currently working as a contractor in Afghanistan, but I'm looking for a good deal when I decide to head back. I can honestly say that I don't know much about diesels, so any information for someone who doesn't know the ropes would be appreciated. I will be using it for hauling a few things, but mostly for hunting.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome, JJ. My uncle is a contractor over there with ya. What questions do ya have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my buddy was telling me something about the emissions equipment that they have on the newer models, and that I don't know what year they started doing that, and what other effects it has on the engine. And I also don't know what would be a good model to go with, I don't need all the nice interior features as I'm hoping to use the money I save there to do some basic upgrades.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
EGR started on 04.5 and up trucks.
DPF and other crap started on 07.5 trucks.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Best bet is a LBZ if you can find it or maybe just maybe a lml....depends on what kory has up his sleeve.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Right on. The dredded DPF (diesel particulate filter) started on the new body style trucks (2007.5+) and only got more intrusive in the 2011 and up models.
The 2001-2004 duramax is called an LB7, it has minimal emission equipment, but known injector issues.

2004.5-2005 is the LLY, it has a variable vane turbo and a standard EGR (Exhaust Gas recirculation) system. Some of the LB7's did too, just depended on how they were spec'd.

2006-2007 classic is the LBZ, and also some LLY's but the hard parts, just different tuning. The 6 speed allison was introduced in 2006 versus the 5spd. Throughout the years up to 2007, you could get a ZF6 (manual gearbox).

2007.5-2010 was the introduction of the DPF. Same chassis as prior years, just new body and nicer interior. The motor is the LMM.
These prior years are all tune capable with EFI Live, which is the top of the line for tuning these trucks.

2011+ is the LML duramax, even more emissions. Limited tuning for these. New frame and some minor body updates from the 2007.5-10 trucks. Look the same to the untrained eye.

LLY and up have a variable vane turbo.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Welcome to DF,

Typically people gravitate towards the LBZ if they like the Classic body style but if you like the New body then they either go LMM or LML.

Both have emissions equipment which can easily be circumvented. Depends on your taste.

I do know that the LML's are going to have a lot of development hit the market this year.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome to DF!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
5,483 Posts