Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just picked up my first diesel truck and love it. I found a 07 crewcab classic with 98k miles I picked up for 22k. My main intensions for the truck is to tow my car hauler. Drag racing is my hobby of choice so definetly not new to performance but I am when it comes to diesel performance. Dont want to go crazy with it as I want to keep it as reliable as possible. No intentions on getting different injectors or a different turbo. It does have a exhaust but other than that its pretty much stock. So far I think my to do list is the free intake mod, egr delete, transgo jr., maybe a airdog pump? (Don't really know if I would need that) and a efilive tune with a dsp5 switch. If anyone has any more input on the mods list please feel free to steer me in the right direction especially about that airdog pump.

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
894 Posts
Sounds like you have a pretty good idea there! Insted of EGR delete, an EGR Blocker plate would be a better option to do when you get your EFI tunes, so they can keep the Check Engine Light off. Transgo Jr. Will help your trans hold a little more power, but IMO you should build the trans all at once. Trans build usually costs about 4000-4500 for a good builder to do it. Airdog makes great lift pumps! Also a lower cost option would be a Raptor 100 pump with the quick connects. Very easy to install. Also a good mod as far as reliability would be a fuel filter spacer and adapter for a CAT 2 micron fuel filter. They offer more filtration and are cheaper than the GM filter. Welcome to the forum, feel free to PM me if you have any questions on anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I should have said block off plate instead of delete. Can I still do the block off plate before the efilive tune? I'm assuming ill just have a cel on until I get it tuned. How much power can the 6-speed allison handle with the transgo jr kit before somethings going to give? Is the lift pump needed when making anymore power than stock or when would that be needed?

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
894 Posts
You can run the plate without EFI, but that light gets annoying. By staying on, you also wont know if you get any other kind of code fault that could hurt you pretty bad. For the trans, I think they are rated somewhere around 650lb/ft of torque a transgo adds a little more durability on the 6 speeds, but I am in no way a trans expert. But if you put it into a limp mode You'll be stuck in 3rd gear until you can get someone to reset your TCM. The best rule is to run at the most 100hp tune empty, and 40hp towing on a stock trans. It all depends how you drive though. As far as lift pumps go, on LBZ's, they arent really necessary. We put one on our 07 because the CP3 pump couldnt keep enough rail pressure by itself when we had 4 cars behind it and would give us a 2000rpm limit until reset. It is always a good option to keep pressurized fuel to the CP3 though, as it will help your CP3 and Injectors last a good while longer. Most people will tell you they wont run a dmax without a lift pump. GM swears you dont need one, but I'd rather run one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
100hp is probably all I will do. I'm not going to be towing that heavy of loads either. Probably 7-8klbs.

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
894 Posts
If that's your power goal, don't even worry about the transgo. If it was my own truck, I would do lift pump first, then EFI tunes. You shouldn't really need gauges for that, but they are always a good idea when towing, even though we don't run them. As far as EGR delete its a good thing to do, but you wont see much of an improvement. After you get your truck tuned. You WILL want more. We all started out the same way. "Okay ill put this on, well now i better put this on, wouldnt it be cool if I had this or that?"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what happened to the car that's going to be getting towed to the track haha. I guess you could say I would want to gain the most power safely without having to risk something taking a crap like the transmission. I have no problem doing the transgo jr kit to it for a little more power or even the peace of mind. Would a 125hp or 150hp tune be way too much for what I'm planning on doing to it?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Welcome. To the forum!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
:welcome

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
894 Posts
I would think you will be fine. I run a 225hp tune on what I think is a stock trans. I usually tow on a 90hp tune with the 01.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Welcome to the forum

1 - 13 of 13 Posts