Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting my rig up to par for towing a 5ther, new wear item steering components, refreshing 'er on the neglected maintenance, etc...

I have a edge evo on order, how mandatory is it that I get the EGT probe? Im floating around 349k on 'er right now.

I replaced my PS pump and I am still getting a whine, so I am chasing that down. Hopefully its just a crappy hose. Something I was wondering about is how difficult would it be to stop if the pump went out? ...I lost a belt due to being rushed out the door at the shop on base at closing time so I know how much of a bitch it is to steer. Braking didnt seem too terribly bad, almost like stopping a older car with no power brakes.

I have yet to chase down a oil leak that seems to be coming from on top of the bell housing, my guess from research is PCV or turbo oil line. It isnt too severe so it should stay ok as long as I keep my eye on the oil level.

Installing the new hydraulic hose trans lines is also part of neglected maintenance. What trans temps should I be seeing when towing? I know there are a lot of variables.

How necessary are tow mirrors? If I do end up needing some, do the stock ones dim like the regular mirrors do?

The truck already has a B&W gooseneck setup installed under the bed, Is it mandatory to get a B&W 5th wheel hitch? The RVK3400 is pricey, I am under the assumption that it is probably better to get the sliding hitch since I hace a short bed.

The trailer connector on the truck, is a round one, has some wires that are damaged, what is that one called and is there a test light I can get for it?

What and how exactly is the tow/haul button used and manual shifting?

I cant think of anything else that pertains to towing/hauling that needs attention and is worth mention on here but if anything comes to my mind or attention, I will be sure to post up.

Thanks for taking time to read and answer a noobs questions

·
Registered
62 Posts
EGT gauge is a necessity to watch temps while towing. Edge insight cts is a great monitor for our trucks, search it out. EFI live by ATP set up for towing would be better tune, search it out also. trans temps while towing should not exceed 225. I see temps at about 180 to 200 towing, slightly over 200 towing up mountains in the northeast. In most states tow mirrors are the law. You must be able to see so many feet behind your rig. The B&W 5ver hitch is very stout. It all depends on the weight of your trailer. If it's over 13k I would get the B&W. As far as a slider, it all depends on the trailer and how tight of spot your backing into. Some get away with short bed and no slider, just watch your cab and trailer when backing. Always use the tow/haul when towing. Try it out you'll see why.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If you run a tune get a pyro. If you keep it stock then no pyro is needed, put in a tgo because you have 300k plus and no idea how it was taken care of

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Trans go, shift kit. If you are stock (tune) it will not get hot enough. If you tune it and she get hot (egt) down shift.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to be really concerned with mpg, so no high hp tuning.

The new trans lines I got are the 3/8" ones. What trans go kit should I look at? I'm definitely doing a flush before I do any major haul which should be soon, I pick up my 5th wheel on Monday.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Trans go Jr. And you will not see much MPG gains in the stock or a little higher tunes as much as a higher tune. But you can't tow on anything but tow tunes 25 heavy or 50 light and then I would put in a down pipe and install a egt gauge if it was mine.. Btw you can't flush the allison, just drain and refill

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gutting the cat asap, that should help cool things down some.

There's a thread on here about cycling the ally with Transynd, 6 gal. Run it for like 30 miles then drain and refill. Costly but it should do good.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Gutting the cat will not really help with the temp. You need a Down pipe and remove the cat and then put in a straight muffler to quiet her down when towing. Keep the tune stock and you need nothing, removing the cat just makes it smell while standing still

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the Companion hitch and agree it's pricy and heavy And now it's in my shop collecting dust. I switched to a Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch that works with my turnover ball, it's lighter and easier in all aspects of hitching and towing a 5th wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.