Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have never heard of the glamis buy/sell/trade platform... Is that on a website? I don't have a facebook or anything, so I hope its not on there haha
Yup it's a facebook group.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My two cents from owning an lly for 11 years. That series of trucks is getting pretty thrashed. I traded mine with 226K miles on it. My advice is to look into a pre-2009 Dmax without the DEF system. All of the issues like pump rub, harness chafing, head gaskets and overheating problems were worked out. Based on what you say is going on in your life, pay a few more dollars on monthly payment and avoid the headaches of costly repairs and upgrades for an older truck. You need dependability and reliability with a family. Stay stock and avoid the need for speed and power. It will only decrease the life of your investment and invite mechanical failures.

Be careful of the internet. The further away from home you search for a vehicle, the less likely the seller is to be honest. If the price or description is too good to be true, it probably isn't. Search local newspapers and community sale papers for owner sales. If you have a favorite local truck dealer, talk to the used car sales manager. He may have a customer wanting to trade one in or know of others regionally available. This route may also increase your chances of good financing options. Yes, he has to make some profit, but these kind of deals build customer loyalty and he may want to help you and make you a long time customer.

FYI: Been married 48 years, raised five children, had three very different careers, retired LEO and a Duramax owner since 2004. Best wishes!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My two cents from owning an lly for 11 years. That series of trucks is getting pretty thrashed. I traded mine with 226K miles on it. My advice is to look into a pre-2009 Dmax without the DEF system. All of the issues like pump rub, harness chafing, head gaskets and overheating problems were worked out. Based on what you say is going on in your life, pay a few more dollars on monthly payment and avoid the headaches of costly repairs and upgrades for an older truck. You need dependability and reliability with a family. Stay stock and avoid the need for speed and power. It will only decrease the life of your investment and invite mechanical failures.

Be careful of the internet. The further away from home you search for a vehicle, the less likely the seller is to be honest. If the price or description is too good to be true, it probably isn't. Search local newspapers and community sale papers for owner sales. If you have a favorite local truck dealer, talk to the used car sales manager. He may have a customer wanting to trade one in or know of others regionally available. This route may also increase your chances of good financing options. Yes, he has to make some profit, but these kind of deals build customer loyalty and he may want to help you and make you a long time customer.

FYI: Been married 48 years, raised five children, had three very different careers, retired LEO and a Duramax owner since 2004. Best wishes!
I appreciate the thoughtful response man. It has certainly crossed my mind to just pay a little more for the newer models. My biggest hesitation with that is being able to work on the truck myself. I just feel like the newer the vehicles get, the more complicated they get to work on. We are trying to pay cash for our next truck since we have finally made it out of debt from student loans and such in the past 3 months. I hope to limit the mileage I put on the diesel truck, maybe 10k per year at most. So I am hoping that if I can find a good one, I may be able to avoid any major repairs for several years.

I actually just saw a 2004 LB7 4x4 CCLB with 160k miles pop up on craigslist for 16k. I know these have had the injector issues, but it appears to be extremely clean. Hoping to go look at it tomorrow and see if the photos are accurate.

If I still don't get a good feeling, I may take your advice and open up my search to a bit newer truck. Just don't feel super comfortable paying 25-30k cash for a truck. Seem terrifying haha

·
Registered
213 Posts
. That series of trucks is getting pretty thrashed.
But don't you think you can say that about any year / series. Ive personally seen a 2014 CCLB 1ton here that only had 39,000 original miles, dealer wanted $42,500 for it. BUT i toggled through the DIC and it had nearly 9400 hours. MANY trucks with 9400 hours have over 250,000 miles on the clock!. Come to find out it was a construction crew boss vehicle and the guy sat in the truck with it running, AC on and it idling in Az summer / winter 8+ hours a day. No load maybe, but still the underhood heat that thing had to see for those 9400 hours is FAR more deteriorating than 150,000 miles of highway airflow . Yes the 15 year old truck has more potential for issues, but less systems to give issues compared to a 2015+ Not trying to be argumentative at all, just saying there is abused 3-4 year old trucks that I wouldn't touch at ANY price no matter how new or low mileage thay have,, and there are trucks 20+ years old I wouldn't hesitate one second to get in and head across county in with a back seat full of grandkids.

My only point is, There is cared for and abused at any age in these trucks. Buying affordable and reliable isn't impossible even at 15 years ols IMO

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
LLYs are good trucks, but if you can find a good LBZ, that's probably the best Duramax generation ever made. I have an LLY, it's pulled our 5th wheel coast-to-coast a couple of times and seen many, many 12K+ mountain passes in probably 40K miles of towing. I think this will be my "forever" truck! Never let me down, I did have #8 injector connector fail at about 130K miles on a trip, but I carry a spare so it was easy to fix. I do most of my mods and maintenance myself so if something gets missed, I know who to blame....
Take your time looking, you will find the right truck if you're not in a hurry.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts