Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Folks, I am now the Proud owner of an 05 Duramax after having powerstrokes since around 01.

My first impression of this truck was WOW, but I have a few little quirks about it that im not sure about.

The truck is a 3500 DRW 4x4, allison, 155000k miles and with the exception of an edge juice/attitude, and k&n filter it is stock.

My first question is this, when I first get in the throttle and it starts building boost you can here the turbo whistle and then for about 2 seconds there is a screech that sounds like a belt squealing and then that stops and you can here the whistle again. It doesnt seem to lose any power and there are no check engine lights on, but im pretty sure its not normal. I cleaned the engine and checked the intercooler boots the best I could and cannot see any holes or tears, and I also checked it while parked and it doesnt do it then so Im assuming that its not a belt.

Ive have done a ton of reading on here for the last week, and I plan on putting the afe MP or maybe LBZ MP, and maybe EFI live in the future but If i have turbo issues I may need to reallocate my funds a bit.

Any Ideas?

thanks in advance.

JB

EDIT: I finally got a passenger to ride with me and read the boost when squealling started, it starts at around 10 psi and will not stop as long as im on the throttle hard building boost, and the boost on the attitude monitor topped out at 25.5

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Chances are your hearing the turbo scream.... They like to do if with the stock downpipe...I just ditched my edge and went to efi... Don't wait just do it... Makes it a totally different truck... Mouthpiece should be first on your list though.....

Also check your egr... When I put my blocker plate In it had trouble sealing up... And at high boost I would get a screeching noise

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys....

When you say check EGR, do you mean check for tightness or check its operation?

So the turbo squeal is normal or do I have a vane issue?

On the efi live, been reading some more and since I use my truck regularly pulling and I plan on leaving it stock for a while, im thinking about ditching the EDGE and go with PPE, I have heard good things and it seems like the EFI Live is geared more toward racing and massive horsepower. This truck in the stock mode has more power than I was use too with my powerstroke chipped up so I dont need a ton.

Also with 155k on it, i probably dont need to push the issue a whole lot with the trans or the engine.

IF i do go PPE which one?

JB

PS....Off topic, but how many post do I need before I can list my edge in the classifieds?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

·
Registered
380 Posts
Welcome to DF

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I think you need 25 posts.... I don't know about the ppe but the smoothness is what I really like... Seems like the edge really made the engine work at high rpms... Efi makes my engine really happy

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Get a mouthpiece first though before you do anything... The stock one robs alot of power....

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I agree completely with the mouth piece. When you pull it off you're going to understand what everyone is talking about with it being complete crap and scratch your head for a minute in disbelief it would ever be installed lol.

In my opinion, if you're already thinking about ditching the edge, don't go with ppe. it is a great canned tuner, but for almost the same price you can get an efi setup. Everyone always looks straight at the badass setup of all setups when looking into efi live.. and you don't have to do this. You can always get a pre tuned ecm w/ dsp2 switch for a great deal, plus there are now two vendors on the site here offering a loaner V2 with your purchase so you can try it out to see if you would be interested. Great deal IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get a mouthpiece first though before you do anything... The stock one robs alot of power....
Thats kinda what I was thinking, but im torn between spending 200 for afe or 80 on LBZ and cutting my pipe....dont know which way to go and trust me ive read all the 10,000 threads on the subject lol

JB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts