Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the whole chevrolet thing I have always driven a dodge with a manual tranny. I just bought a 06 crewcab 4x4 dually LBZ. What are yall doing with your tranny when your running loads? Put it in drive? Or in drive with tow haul mode? Or shifting it manually? I dont pull real big loads I would say I average between 4500 - 9000 lbs on a regular basis? :help

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
just put it in drive, hit the tow/haul button and forget about it :) Pretty simple. The tranny will take care of itself. It'll downshift for you to assist with slowing down, and raise the shift points while accelerating and everything. You'll be good to go.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I have always driven a 6 speed but thats because the automatics in dodge suck I had one for about 6 months and hated it so much I took a hit and traded it in. I have heard nothing but great things about the allison hopefully it will be good to me.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Put it in drive, hit tow/haul and forget about it.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Welcome to the DF

Enjoy the new truck

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to DF. Yeah like they said, drive in tow/haul. Had 07 CTD Auto and now this. Allison makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
can't slow down

i also have mostly droven a dodge manual and today i was ready to shoot my allician trany. if things don't change i will have to replace my brakes very often. would like to get any help on tricks to use the trany before i have to go back to a dodge.i am in tow haul mode and it doesn't help slow me down much.:help

·
Registered
760 Posts
i also have mostly droven a dodge manual and today i was ready to shoot my allician trany. if things don't change i will have to replace my brakes very often. would like to get any help on tricks to use the trany before i have to go back to a dodge.i am in tow haul mode and it doesn't help slow me down much.:help
It is not going to replace a stick but, in tow haul mode my truck downshifts aggressively going down steep grades. I have never owned a stick but have hauled with a couple.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I tow regularly in the mountains and have found that in 6th the egts get hot and as soon as I get to any incline it wants to be in 5th anyways so tow haul and manual to 5th is my choice. Play around with it and see what you like the most. Hate to break it to you but your new truck will never hold back on grades like a manual tranny; sorry.
enjoy your new ride.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
you can downshift it in manual mode and it'll slow things down pretty well once you get to higher rpms. You can run up to 4800 rpms while engine braking and not hurt anything. It'll do a pretty good job spinning that fast.

Also an EFI tune with a turbo brake, or Edge Evo lvl 2 with turbo brake makes a world of difference when trying to slow down a big load.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was playing with mine when I first bought it and it downshifted going down a good grade and hit 4500 rpms...scared the holy sh*t out of me with this being my first diesel besides driving my Dad's Peterbilt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya I was concerned about how hard it shifts, especially downshifying into 1st gear into tow hail mode lol. But I have been told that is normal

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was wondering myself, first trip coming up with my toy hauler, I figure the trailer will weigh around 10k and was wondering if it is required to run in tow/haul mode? On flat ground is it ever okay to run in normal mode?

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
there's no benefit to not running in tow haul mode with that much weight, so I would definitely keep it in t/h, whether the land is flat or hilly, or all downhill or whatever.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Made my first load yesterday, though it wasnt very heavy. This is the first auto diesel I have ever driven that the cruising speeds rpm didnt seem to be affected by the tow/haul mode. It seemed to only change how it shifts on the way there and back down. Overall I was impressed with everything but the fuel mileage

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im also new to the duramax. Ive had mine less than a month, pulled empty trailer home last night first time hitched up to anything. was wondering while in drive and tow/haul mode does the tranny ever hit 6th gear, mine never did but never got over 60 mph?

·
Registered
94 Posts
there's no benefit to not running in tow haul mode with that much weight, so I would definitely keep it in t/h, whether the land is flat or hilly, or all downhill or whatever.
Okay, I just got home from the Desert 100 in Odessa Washington. I am sore as hell. :) I only road the FFR poker run but that was enough for me.

I was very surprised how the tow/haul setting worked. Way different then my last truck. (F-150) I am real happy with the way it worked. Odessa is in eastern Wa. and I live in Tacoma so I had a mountain pass to go over and several long grades. I can't believe how little I had to use the brakes. And the P3 Tekonsha brake controller I just installed for this trip worked AMAZING! No brake grab like I used to experience in other controllers I have used. Very smooth and even braking. Truly a very comfortable trip. My total gross was about 16k, both units weighed nearly the same, 8k. Not the best pics of the truck and trailer but I will get a better one soon. The next couple pics will be of the camping area and the race start. In order to get the whole camping area I had to take about 6 shots. To many to post but that gives you an idea how many people were there. The last pic is of the riders lining up for the race start. It was a running start, all bikes were parked and not running, the riders standing about 20 feet behind the bikes. When the cannon went off the riders had to run to their bikes, start them and take off.

Oh, the real last pic shows that it did get a little dusty from time to time. :)

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Schnikys! That's a large crowd!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
The tow/haul mode on the older trucks is NOT a jake brake, nor was it designed to be. It is an entirely different animal than a true jake brake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts