Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first duramax its an 04 with 158000 mi. How do i tell if its an 04 or an 04.5. Also what oil to use. I was told he used rotella. what is a good weight and how often should it be changed. Also how often should the fuel filter be changed. And is there any other reg. maint. that should be done. Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
as far as the 04 or 04.5 it goes by the eighth digit in your VIN number. if it's a 1 you have an LB7, if it's a 2 you have the LLY.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
check the vin to know which motor you have the 8th num. will be either a 1 or 2, 1 is lb7 2 is lly.

i use rotella, the syn. i think its 5-40 i go about 7k with the synthetic.

fuel filter is 5-7k miles also.

btw welcome to the site!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
8th digit on the vin# 1 lb7 2 lly...lots of guys use and like rotella, so if thats what was used i would stay with it 15w40 diesal oil(somebody that uses this oil will prolly chime in on what its called)...fuel filter, i do mine every 5000 miles along with the tranny spin-on filter. Also i would change the front and rear diff, tranfer case and tranny fluid so u have a good base line of when everything was done!!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
shell rotella 15-40. what we use in everything at werk ( MOSAIC ) trucks get beat to death too!

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
just make sure it is 15-40 and diesel engine oil[it'll say on the jug].I 've used Mobil 1 15-40 Delvac with great results in the past...
Now I use Mobil 1 5-40 full synthetic[but that's my preference].Lots of guys use and like Rotella 15-40^^like he said^^.....just use what you prefer to use and make sure it is decent stuff..

·
Vendor
10,966 Posts
I see most have answered your question about which motor. 10k on the fuel filter and tranny spin on. They are also right about fluids. If you don't know the previous maintenance history, you should change out all the fluids to get them onto your own schedule.

If I can help with that with a mx schedule and/or a quote for AMSOIL fluids just let me know.

Take care,

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats the difference in engines

what is the difference between the to engines? And is one better than the other? Thanks

·
Waldo
788 Posts
you have a 2004 truck, you will have to watch your injectors. Get a vin check at your dealer and find out when they were last done. No emissions to worry about. If you have any other ?s ask. I've got one and I like it

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I will call the dealer ship and see what they say. How do you know if you are having injector problems. Also Is there only the one fuel filter. Thanks again

·
Waldo
788 Posts
Yea one fuel filter. You'll know when you're having problems because it will start smoking and it will run like crap. Some are great don't have problems, mine has had 7 sets. Just luck of the draw.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
my 8th digit is 1 so I have the lb7. Now can someone tell me what that means.
Thanks
most mpg friendly model??loudest?Most mods available??Won't tell ya......welcome to the forum!!:drink

not to be rude but if you type in the search box and read some threads,you'll save the fingers tons of typing.....:drink:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i did some calling my local dealerships today and found out that the guy that sold me the truck had it in there a month ago because he thought he had injector problems. The dealership told me that the owner thought it was smoking more than normal. The dealership said the injectors are not failing the my be dumping a little to much fuel so the would not replace them. Is this something i should worry about or not i don't think it is really somking or running funny.

Also stupid question probably but is there a way to run off road deisel or is that all together a bad idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts