Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. Decided to join the forum as a precursor to owning a duramax sometime in the near future. I am currently finishing up my Criminal Justice degree and heading back home to work and buy myself a Chev/GMC Duramax. I am new to diesels, but not new to mechanics/turbos or anything of that nature. I currently own a 93 Honda Civic, 1970 Chevelle and 99 Subaru Impreza (school car) so this will be my first truck. I'm a drag fanatic, thats what my civic/chevelle is for, and I need a truck to drive daily but also be used to tow my cars to and from the track. I'll be reading and learining as much as possible and looking for tips/pointers on what to look out for when I do decide to purchase a new truck. Thanks for the opportunity to lurk and learn, I learn quickly so I look forward to sharing what I can in the future.

Heres a couple pics of my babies

Turbo setup on my civic

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome!! Ditch the ricer ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I will grow out of it one day (I'm only 23) BUT I have a 600+whp turbo motor built ready to go in it within the next year...Hopefully see some 9's.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Welcome to the DF! Dont be surprised if you end up making the truck faster than the cars.

Nice Civic. Real clean and no rice! B18C?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't plan on modding the truck out too much, just making it a functional daily that performs and looks nice. Looking into a RCD 6" lift and 35x13.50x20's for a stance. I work for Les Schwab so I have endless possibilities of what to go with... Plus I have the other cars to race.
Thanks for the civic comments and yes, the NA motor is a 82mm B18C all OEM built putting down right at 200whp and runs low 13's. The turbo motor was an OEM built LS Vtec on 15psi (t3/t4 .57 trim garrett) that made 365whp 240tq and ran 11.4's til I blew it up.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Sweet! When I was into Hondas the frankenstein was still a fairly new concept. lol. I had a 95 hatch that I was building an LS-VTEC for with the block from my 91 Integra. The project was going great until some guy totaled my hatch in a grocery store parking lot. I sold everything and havent been back since.

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea the "frankenstein" builds are old news now and way over done. I have actually considered selling my honda to get myself into the truck quicker and be finantially stable. I've had it for 6 years now though and have been through 5 motor swaps and many hours of building/modding so it's hard to just let go. Not to mention with 2500 in suspension under it hitting the twisties is fun.
I just dont think a federal probation officer rolling around in a slammed civic is highly looked upon haha. I look at it as I still have the Chevelle and me and my dad are building a tube chassis vega.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
363 Posts
welcome man, badass chevelle my dad had a 68 rag top, i also sold my 64 chev short box pickup in the summer, looking for something state side thats cleaner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I like the 68's as well. My dad used to have a 58 side-step and I loved that truck. I can't wait to get into a truck of my own. Chevy family/guy through and through. We have an 07 Tahoe, 02 silverado, 1970 chevelle and soon to be my truck all at one house. Sick Sierra BTW... I want a white one that looks similar to yours.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app-Adam

·
Registered
968 Posts
Welcome, once you go d-max you wont go back. put the ricer in the back of the new d-max and drop it off at the scrap yard. Ever see the chevelle with the d-max in it?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So much hate on the Honda haha. I mean if I can drop 5k in my D-max and make it run consistent low 10's and still get 25+mpg then I'll consider it.... but I know that's a pipe dream so I'll cage the honda and keep the D-max for the streets. Don't get me wrong I never own anything slow.
garys08slt yes I have seen the duramax chevelle, it sick. Me and my dad are actually considering a TT big block setup for the Vega we want to build and shoot for low 8's. The chevelle is pretty much a restore to "show quality" SS clone. It has a VERY healthy SB355 in it mated to a muncie 4 speed. Hell heres a link to a Startup video of it.

http://youtu.be/VxhbWeCda3Y

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome to DF.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for welcoming me, and my "ricer" guys. Been busy with school the last few days but the support I see on this forum is awesome. Already reading and learning so couldnt ask for much more. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts