Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am currently driving a 2000 burb 2500. We tow a 26 foot travel trailer and a looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel in the near future. We are going to go look at and test drive a 2006 Chevy cc with the lly duramax.

I already know it is a 1 owner vehicle, an older gentlemen that used it to tow a 5th wheel. Clean car fax. The small town used car dealer (not a GM dealer) said it has no mods and is completely stock. It has 48,800 miles. No warranty. I just want to make sure the engine and tranny are operating properly and if there are any signs to look for that might give me heads up on any sort of issues. I was already told that he took good care of it but he doesn't have records to show. This will be my first diesel and I am hoping someone can tell me what to look for while test driving this duramax. Thanks in advance for you replies.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You'll love a duramax whatever you end up getting. 

- Adam

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Welcome and if you do get the ride just get that pocket book ready bc its an addiction!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Welcome. That's a good motor. General rule of thumb is buy the newest one you can afford.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
welcome! id say your pretty safe with that new of a truck with only 48,800 miles on it. these trucks can take a pretty good beating and still run forever. i would check the fluids, the way the tires are worn, how stiff or loose the steering is, take a look at the ball joints, listen for any odd sounds (they are actually very quiet for a diesel truck) and if its 4wd i would kick that in just to make sure. they are very reliable vehicles, good luck youll love it

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Welcome and good luck !

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hope all goes well with your potential purchase!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
With that few of miles and the previous owner you described there shouldn't be anything to worry about. I would crawl underneath and check the trans lines to cooler for leaks. Tire wear is also a good indication of front end components.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm overly cautious....
Before I pulled the trigger on mine I paid $100 for the dealership near me to do the top to bottom inspection. That way I had a pretty good idea of the current condition and what repairs to negotiate.
I also purchased an extended warranty so if something catastrophic did happen I was covered. Just another thought before you lay down a load of cash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts