Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Well, don't run me out of town just yet but I am a Dodge Turbo owner. I am thinking of buying a different rig and am considering a Duramax. There is nothing wrong with the DTC I own, just getting a little small (darn wife keeps feeding the kids and they keep growing).

I am sure it is on this site somewhere, but I am not very familiar with the search function yet. Can someone please give me a good run-down on the "good, bad and ugly" about Duramax Diesels? I would like to know about mechanical issues, mileage, Do's and Don'ts and what the best year vehicles are to buy and which ones (if any) to avoid.

I use my DTC for towing a travel trailer, and cross the desert while pulling. I also like to take it up in the mountains. Not any off-roading, but just to cruise down the road.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
566 Posts
Welcome to the board....In 2006 gm went to a six speed auto(double overdrive) helps a little on fuel.
I dont think they made a bad diesel, but the earlier ones had injector problems so gm extended the warrenty to 200,000 miles.
The new ones got a crap load of polution shit on them but you can get around that, but it voids the warrenty.

Good luck on youre search.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
You will like the fit and finish of any Dmax over the Dodge for sure. For what you are wanting to use it for the LBZ(06.5 to 07.5) will be the best for you out of the box. If you like tinkering a little you can get a LLY(04.5 to 06.5) considerably cheeper and have to change a couple things. Like the Turbo mouthpiece and some wiring issues(Not bad). The Lb7 is the first generation and are great motors except for the Injectors. The question with them is not if they will go bad but when.Then you are looking at 4-5k to fix them.The LMM(07.5 to 10 New body style) is a great motor just weighted down with emmisions stuff(poor economy). It is essentially the same as the LBZ just with more smog crap.They can also be made to run well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thanks for the info. Since I am the new guy on the block, can someone explain what a "LBZ" and a "LLY" is? I am assuming that it has something to do with the year and/or features?

I appreciate the help,
Rick

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
It is the model number of the motor.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
01-04.5 LB7 04.5-05LLY 06-07.5 LBZ 07.5 on up, LMM there was an 06 LLY, but they are an LBZ with a different tune.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome to the Forum...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts