Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new to the forum,
Have been looking but can't find how to swap out motor
Lost mine and I'm going to swap another motor in truck.
Looking for details on how to. Have done has motors in past but this will be my first lb7 or diesel for that matter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,024 Posts
Pretty much just like any other engine swap. Drain fluids, removed cooling stack, unhook wiring, unbolt and pull out. Engine harness can stay on and then be switched over to the new engine if needed. Are you swapping same year LB7 engines? Some LB7 engines have some connectors that are different than other LB7 engines (early vs late), or different places for sensors and things. But for the most part, its pretty straight forward

Reactions: BOWTIE67

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Donor motor same year vin 1 just hit 100k have new injectors that I just put in my truck. Will have then bench tested before I pit then in donor motor.
Thank you for the info I feel more at ease

·
Registered
173 Posts
Search for LB7 removal or something along those lines. There is a great write up on how to do it. With pictures. That's what I used and it was a massive help.
That and a Haynes manual.

Sent from my google machine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just got my engine delivered, it's a California emissions motor and mine is a federal. I see that wiring harness can change out. Glow plug rails swapped turbo swap.
Anything else ? Had a bear of a time pulling my motor but got it done last night. Just a little nervous once this engine came in. I have attached some pics of my progress. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advace.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I decided to get a second motor this time a federal, in the mean while i started tear this motor of mine down. 1st thing I found was a crushed socket and piston parts @bottom of oil pan. Really confused about this. Had injectors done 18 months ago by a reputable shop. And injectors were also done 5yrs ago. Keep you all posted once I pull the heads.

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,024 Posts
Well I decided to get a second motor this time a federal, in the mean while i started tear this motor of mine down. 1st thing I found was a crushed socket and piston parts @bottom of oil pan. Really confused about this. Had injectors done 18 months ago by a reputable shop. And injectors were also done 5yrs ago. Keep you all posted once I pull the heads.
There is no way a socket got into the cylinder to hit a piston unless the heads were off. There just isn't enough clearance to physically fit through anywhere. Now, if its a small socket, it probably could have fallen through an oil return galley at the bottom area of the cylinder head. But, the pieces of the piston being in there are not good...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts